View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
patsgang
New Member!
Female 

03-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Maybe she is a WPC and realised she had gone to far, could be she was worried you would see her in uniform and report her, I have a friend who is a WPC and believe me she has a mouth on her!!!!!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 06:44 AM
maybe she was upset at losing her dog, i've threatened mine with some fist when they've naffed, doesn't mean i would do it, and to be honest if you'd have given me the spiel about training etc without knowing the circumstances i may have reacted in the same way, personally i think a lot of us are a bit quick to judge, one of mine will growl at me if she doesn't want to do something, but would be all over a stranger so again its a case of not knowing the circumstances
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
maybe she was upset at losing her dog, i've threatened mine with some fist when they've naffed, doesn't mean i would do it, and to be honest if you'd have given me the spiel about training etc without knowing the circumstances i may have reacted in the same way, personally i think a lot of us are a bit quick to judge, one of mine will growl at me if she doesn't want to do something, but would be all over a stranger so again its a case of not knowing the circumstances
I actually take slight offence to that a bit, tbh.

Well, when you consider what she said "I'll hit the dog if I want to, he shouldn't have run away", you can't blame me for assuming such things given the situation and given what she said and how she reacted!

I said no wonder the dog runs away if that's what it's faced with on return. And yes, dogs DO require training to recall - obviously.

I would never jokingly threaten my dogs with a fist, too risky, especially one that already growls! Why would you do that? Whether or not you would carry out the threat! Yes, I've felt frustrated at times, but I've never taken it out on my dogs and never would, it's not their fault, it's mine!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by patsgang View Post
Maybe she is a WPC and realised she had gone to far, could be she was worried you would see her in uniform and report her, I have a friend who is a WPC and believe me she has a mouth on her!!!!!
Yes, quite possibly.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Tbh I would have taken offence to you giving me a lecture on dog training, without knowing me or My dog, just cos a dog is collar shy doesn't mean its been beaten , and yes I quiet frequently jokingly threaten mine with some fist, and would be most put out if someone decided to stick their oar in, I get really fed up with people publicly judging other dog owners on this forum, without knowing the full facts, its not on especially when they can't answer for themselves
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Tbh I would have taken offence to you giving me a lecture on dog training, without knowing me or My dog, just cos a dog is collar shy doesn't mean its been beaten , and yes I quiet frequently jokingly threaten mine with some fist, and would be most put out if someone decided to stick their oar in, I get really fed up with people publicly judging other dog owners on this forum, without knowing the full facts, its not on especially when they can't answer for themselves ps how do you know she hadn't done any training,
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Tbh I would have taken offence to you giving me a lecture on dog training, without knowing me or My dog, just cos a dog is collar shy doesn't mean its been beaten , and yes I quiet frequently jokingly threaten mine with some fist, and would be most put out if someone decided to stick their oar in, I get really fed up with people publicly judging other dog owners on this forum, without knowing the full facts, its not on especially when they can't answer for themselves
You're entitled to your opinion. As am I.

Note that the dog in question was not collar shy, I held his collar, touched him etc without so much as a mumble. The minute she came towards him, he lowered and growled quite a bit - and continued growling at her. The REAL reason for this, I don't know.

I don't find jokingly threatening a dog with a fist - especially a rescue dog - funny or amusing in the slightest. But again, that's my opinion and I choose not to do that with my dogs.

I wasn't giving out training advice either, I was simply stating that if she did hit the dog, it's no wonder he growled at her and perhaps bolted.

And given the situation and what was said, it's hardly surprising I came to the conlusion I did, whether or not it was the wrong one - I also apologised for me assuming she was the one hitting him as she said she wouldn't hurt him. I also respect her for coming to look for me and apologise.

As I said, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and hope I see her again with the dog as the dog is most welcome to play with my two and I'm happy to chat to her and pass the time of day.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3