Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
personally think it's quite dangerous to assume having a lead on a dog automatically keeps it safe.

I have not seen a post by anyone on this thread making that assumption. It is a duty of care and demonstrates that you have not chosen to be negligent. Of course leads can break.

Not putting a dog on a lead in this situation is like saying "I won't put a seatbelt on my child when I drive, as I will drive carefullly" ........ senseless.
In your opinion perhaps it is, but again as I've already said - you've never met me, my dogs or know anything about my situation or where I walk. Without this information your beliefs are just based on stereotypes and judgements based on your own knowledge, which of course is fine, but it's not really all that applicable to someone you've never met and know nothing about imo.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 03:57 PM
My remarks are not aimed specifically at you, they are of course generalisations and apply to ANYONE IMHO.

You have to remember I investigate accidents DAILY, 99.99% of which could have been entirely avoided and were EASILY preventable; hence why I can see NO reasonable justification for your actions.

The words "he has never done that before" and "no traffic ever comes down this road" have been repeated to many times post accident for me to ignore........

Unfortunately quite often it is not only the dog and the owner that pay the consequences for such inaction but other people, which is why I feel so strongly about this issue.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I personally think it's quite dangerous to assume having a lead on a dog automatically keeps it safe.
If your dog is off lead and runs into the road for whatever reason, it is negligence on your part and I doubt your insurance cover would be valid so you could end up being sued by any unfortunate third party who might be involved.

If your dog is on lead and the lead breaks/collar breaks/dog slips its collar etc., it is an unfortunate accident and would be covered.

It's nothing to do with your ego or you doing anything illegal (I am not interested in either) but about common sense. I would have thought that someone working in a caring profession would have had more interest in the wellbeing of others, not to mention your dog.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Precisely, I find it gobsmacking that a nurse who sees so much pain and misery, much of it self inflicted and much of it entirely preventable/avoidable could countenance such a stance.
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2011, 04:28 PM
It's better to be safe than sorry.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 05:04 PM
My remarks are not aimed specifically at you, they are of course generalisations and apply to ANYONE IMHO.

You have to remember I investigate accidents DAILY, 99.99% of which could have been entirely avoided and were EASILY preventable; hence why I can see NO reasonable justification for your actions.

The words "he has never done that before" and "no traffic ever comes down this road" have been repeated to many times post accident for me to ignore........

Unfortunately quite often it is not only the dog and the owner that pay the consequences for such inaction but other people, which is why I feel so strongly about this issue.
And again, you have to remember you've never met me, my dogs or the areas where I've walked. Generalisations are great when analysing the "average joe", but then do they really exist? IMO no.

Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
If your dog is off lead and runs into the road for whatever reason, it is negligence on your part and I doubt your insurance cover would be valid so you could end up being sued by any unfortunate third party who might be involved.

If your dog is on lead and the lead breaks/collar breaks/dog slips its collar etc., it is an unfortunate accident and would be covered.

It's nothing to do with your ego or you doing anything illegal (I am not interested in either) but about common sense. I would have thought that someone working in a caring profession would have had more interest in the wellbeing of others, not to mention your dog.
I'm aware of that, but thanks.

If I felt that letting my dogs off by the roadside was to risk their lives and that of others I wouldn't do it. I just calculate risks differently to you. This, coupled with the fact you know nothing of me or my circumstances just means you disagree with what I do. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make you right, me wrong or vice versa.

Precisely, I find it gobsmacking that a nurse who sees so much pain and misery, much of it self inflicted and much of it entirely preventable/avoidable could countenance such a stance.
Ah the Nurse thing, I wondered how long it would be before that would be thrown into the mix. These threads are nothing if not predictable.

BTW, how do you know my patients self inflict their misery on themselves?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
People can call me whatever they like, I really don't mind. I've been on this forum a long time so have got a very thick skin!

Like I've said many times before, no one knows me, my dogs or where I live. No one knows what the roads are like where I walk, how busy they are, how my dogs are trained etc.

It's not about my ego, if people really knew me they'd already know that. It's just something I do with my dogs, it's something I've always done, although less so now as I live in town and the risks are much greater due to the increased population etc. I weigh up every situation individually and decide whether to leash them or not based on whether there are any risks involved at the time. I think it's important to think outside of the box, there are many risks involved with walking a dog by the roadside with or without a lead and I personally think it's quite dangerous to assume having a lead on a dog automatically keeps it safe.

As I always say it's a free country and people are entitled to their opinion as much as I am.

Oh and before anyone comes up with the "it's illegal" angle, I walked my dogs off lead on the road past police monitoring the motorway traffic everyday when I lived in the country. Not once did I get arrested and the dogs were often petted and fussed by the police men. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in doing things that are illegal, even though we know we shouldn't.

Have to admit something now 25 years ago I used to walk one of my Cairn terriers off-lead near a (quiet) road. I got stopped by a policewoman He was a "bomb-proof" dog, very calm and well-behaved. Once walking him home off-lead a small kitten came out of a side road, came close to him and miaowed. How did he react? He sat and let it sniff him! He was an exceptional terrier. This was in my youth. Would I do the same thing now? Definitely not.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
When people come into hospital etc they are quite often there due to their decision to drink to excess, to do stupid things eg dive into shallow swimming pools, drugs, drive without seat belts etc.

I am sure vets feel the same anger when animals come in with conditions/diseases which could have been avoided if ONLY the owners had taken a bit of care.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Not all nurses work in A&E, Ripsnorter could be a nurse looking after cancer patients for example, not all of whom have cancer because they smoke 60 a day. She could be a nurse looking after the elderly in a care home.

But I do want to ask a question if I may? What is the reason behind walking your dogs off lead alongside roads? You mentioned training them but i'm just wondering why a field wouldnt suffice for this? I'm asking because I cant personally think of any justification which would outweight the danger. I'm not having a go, just genuinely interested.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
My views are not directed JUST at Ripsnorter, they are addressed to anyone who may be reading this thread who has the same outlook.

Not everyone looks at all perspectives when doing something and sometimes we are all too close to things to take an objective view.

Personally I could not care less what people do if it does not impact on me and THEY are the people who have to live with themselves if they incur a tragedy that could have been avoided.

I felt the same way about the moronic parent pushing her baby in a pram across a frozen lake, or people who walk their dogs near frozen lakes, or beside railways.........

It is a general observation about the avoidance of unecessary risk.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >