Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
Due to the fact that that angle of the lead is not 180 degrees to the direction in which the dog is pulling (your end of the lead is higher than the dogs), you are already having to use more force than the dog to keep it stationary.
No, dear - you don`t turn it into a contest. It`s counter productive. You use your voice and the lead to lure the dog and change direction. Then you start to train the dog by rewarding the good and averting the unwanted behaviours.

Of course you bring training into
it, but if dogs were perfectly trained there would be no need for collars in the first place. In the real world this is not the case and dogs are put on leads for a reason.

No, dear, you need to train the dog. That`s what training`s for. If you want to pull something about, get a pull-along train.

Again the the metal pieces on the collar will have padding below them and all edges and corners will be rounded.
So if I got an axe and padded the edges and swung it against your arm it wouldn`t hurt?
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2011, 12:56 PM
No, dear - you don`t turn it into a contest. It`s counter productive. You use your voice and the lead to lure the dog and change direction. Then you start to train the dog by rewarding the good and averting the unwanted behaviours.
Of course that works 100% of the time, as a dog functions just to please you and not itself.

It's like being Will Smith in I, Robot atm, except it's just you rather than the rest of the population with the faith in the 3 laws.

So if I got an axe and padded the edges and swung it against your arm it wouldn`t hurt?
You're likely to break a bone or leave a large and deep bruise if it was a hard swing.

However as the collar is in permanent contact with the dog and not being swung at it from a distance with any force what you have just posted is completely irrelevant.

You would feel a slap rather than a thud as the axe is likely to be made from carbon steel and wood where as the collar is made from thin aluminium in comparison and leather (whilst having a much lower mass and a lager contact surface). You also don't "pad" axes to keep them from cutting people lol.

Force = mass * acceleration

Of course there is more to it (reaction of the thing being hit and so on) but GCSE level and lower physics, along with a google search isn't hard to do for yourself.

All I can think of now is the response Jim Downey gives to Adam Sandler in Billy Madison.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4