View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I meant more like if the dog is lying down on a walk, e.g. if you stop off at a pub or at the bench in a park, it may not be comfortable for the dog to lie down in and I doubt you want a house collar, a walk collar, and a "chilling out on a walk" collar. Depends on what activities you do on your walks I suppose.
On the subject of attacks, I meant that in a dog attack if the attacking dog may not just bite at the neck - wounds are often inflicted on the face, chest, body, legs, etc. to so although the collar may provide some protection I don't think it would really be a major plus of a metal collar.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Why? What`s the point?
My dogs go in the sea most days. And their collars get chucked in the washing machine once a month. I really can`t see many metals standing up to that.

eta - just remembered it`s April 1st !
mumof5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
i really dont like the idea of an all metal collar
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Metal collars have been around for centuries. Nowadays we just do not find them very practical
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I meant more like if the dog is lying down on a walk, e.g. if you stop off at a pub or at the bench in a park, it may not be comfortable for the dog to lie down in and I doubt you want a house collar, a walk collar, and a "chilling out on a walk" collar. Depends on what activities you do on your walks I suppose.

The difference in comfort should be relatively minor or unnoticeable the majority of the time, I don't mind using using different collars and I don't drink so rarely go into pubs and wouldn't leave my dog outside for an extended (10 mins +) period of time anyway, especially not a rottweiler or akita.

On the subject of attacks, I meant that in a dog attack if the attacking dog may not just bite at the neck - wounds are often inflicted on the face, chest, body, legs, etc. to so although the collar may provide some protection I don't think it would really be a major plus of a metal collar.
That may be the case, however the carotids are in the head and neck, these carry blood and therefore oxygen to the brain. Afaik a dog can be subject to a blood choke (compressing the carotids causing fast unconsciousness) just as easily as humans, but I cannot find any illustrations of the cardiovascular system on google. A bite to the neck damaging an artery could cause lot more damage than a bite puncturing another area.

Also I did say:

it gives your dog a better chance at protecting itself however small.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
.. Afaik a dog can be subject to a blood choke (compressing the carotids causing fast unconsciousness) just as easily as humans, but I cannot find any illustrations of the cardiovascular system on google. A bite to the neck damaging an artery could cause lot more damage than a bite puncturing another area.
.:
So this is armour for dogs?
yup - definitely April 1st.......
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
So this is armour for dogs?
yup - definitely April 1st.......
No, mainly for a project for me. I was just pointing out an advantage and why something that appears minor may not be.

If I was going for armour...

i really dont like the idea of an all metal collar
Lucky it's not all metal then.

My dogs go in the sea most days. And their collars get chucked in the washing machine once a month. I really can`t see many metals standing up to that.

I rarely go to the seaside, occasionally to visit people in Plymouth and for that I doubt I would let the dog go in the water and wouldn't be using this collar anyway.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
soz... sounds like a macho thing to me hope its an april fools

im sure my Tupac would look pretty impressive with a metal collar and would defo go with his coat colour

as for protection? nah...might as well give it spikes
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2011, 05:23 PM
It is similar to a leather dog collar except the leather that would be against the side of the dogs neck is replaced with a piece of metal shaped to fit the dogs neck
Hi HM , there is a big difference between leather and metal, one breathes the other doesn't.
I would think a metal collar would be very uncomfortable in hot weather also some metals can also cause an allergic reaction when placed close to the skin. I would stick to leather.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 05:44 PM
When you have a lead attached to a collar, and the dog pulls, or you pull on the lead, the shape of the collar changes.
How would a metal collar do this? Surely it would just dig in.

Hope it is an April fools.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >