View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Or, you know, it could just be a bit of harmless fun I still can't see anything that says the dog's welfare is compromised any more than being groomed for a show. You can see that the feathers etc aren't very heavy from the pictures... Also have to say that from an artistic point of view I quite like it, it looks a bit silly but very creative!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
Or, you know, it could just be a bit of harmless fun I still can't see anything that says the dog's welfare is compromised any more than being groomed for a show. You can see that the feathers etc aren't very heavy from the pictures... Also have to say that from an artistic point of view I quite like it, it looks a bit silly but very creative!
I am too old and cynical to think it is a bit of harmess fun; where businesses, prestige and money are involved it beocmes more serious stuff. Some of these dogs are work in progress for six months of the year - half prepared before the competition and then subjected to two and half hours or more of work on the bench as the "artist" shows off his talent to an audience - come on that is far beyond what most show dogs have to endure.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:39 AM
If it upsets you so much I suggest you report this to the RSPCA although I do not see them making any comment or trying to prosecute them? Or maybe I missed that?

I think I will continue to enjoy the pictures (which I have put on my fridge freezer) as the fantastic artistic results of superb creativity that they are. It is great when people make beautiful scenes for the pleasure of others and I tip my hat to these very clever people and maybe it might trigger ideas in others to bring more artistry into the world
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Smokeybear - RSPCA - Its in America, not UK, although, no doubt it is monitored by the ASPCA, or whatever equivalent over there.

I think it is time for me to withdraw from this - I have said what I think and as somebody else said - each to his own.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Oh really, and have they complained about it?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
The things get washed out afterwards, the dogs are not kept like this all the time, just for comps, I mean can you imagine the upkeep of keeping a dog groomed like this 24/7, I don't think that the owners would be able to leave the house
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Here you go, this may let people see more to creative grooming.

It is a form of creative expression in which the animal is the canvas. What it represents is determined by the groomer. For some, it is a touch of elegance. For others, it is a drastic transformation. It may involve bright and bold colors, softer pastels, or even no color at all.

As beautiful as the grooms may be though, the animal's comfort should never be sacrificed for the sake of a groom. The animals with which we work deserve nothing but love, respect, and patience and should always be treated as such. Afterall, none of this would not be possible without them.

It is also important to note that creative grooming is only to be performed by professional groomers, knowledgeable in both basic grooming and creative grooming techniques. While the animals are not harmed during these grooms, there are many different factors that must be understood and taken into account.

For this reason, pet owners should not attempt to achieve a creative groom on their own. If you are interested in having something extra done for your pet, talk to your groomer today about what options are available for you and your pet.
You might also want to look on the page, 'is it abuse'.

http://www.thenapcg.com/Abuse.html
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Can we not just be agin it on grounds of taste then?
Like with purple nylon shell suits and 70s mullets?
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Can we not just be agin it on grounds of taste then?
Like with purple nylon shell suits and 70s mullets?
And what's wrong with them?

Having started this thread thinking that the article was an April Fool's joke I suppose I'd better add my twopenneth. I don't have a problem provided that the dogs welfare is first & foremost & no animals were hurt in the making of the extreme hair dos. But I have to add that I find the fact that some people find this an enjoyable/amusing/interesting "hobby" a little bizarre! I can think of loads of things most dogs would prefer to be doing than spending hours on a grooming table!

But then I'm the owner with dogs that were shampooed yesterday & are now forbidden to go near water or mud till they've seen the vet for their annual health check on Wednesday!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I used to hate the idea of this
Till a lady came on here and said how much her dogs adore the attention they get when they are done up fancy

Its not for me, and deff not for my dogs (who see grooming as evil to be tolorated)
I also was totaly against dressing dogs up - till my friends dog (staffie cross) came charging into the room dressed as a bumble bee and was so excited to be all dressed up

I think if the dog enjoys it, and the dogs welfare is more important than the hobby then I guess why not?

Does a dog know if he is getting a show cut or a giraffe?
A waterproof coat or a ladybird outfit?
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >