View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Cruelty is not this! For heavens sake, nobody has starved them, put out cigarettes on them, beat them etc.

It is not something that I would do to my dogs, any more than I would put clothes on my dogs or fancy collars, bows, personalised towels, bowls etc etc.

(Obviously if they told me they would like any of the above then we would come to some arrangement re pocket money and what they would have to finance themselves etc)

But I have to admire the skill.

Perhaps the pictures should be accompanied by the disclaimer "no animals were harmed in the pursuit of extreme hairdressing" like in films but otherwise I see no harm in it.

Cruelty is when people fail to groom their dogs and leave them so matted they need their coats cutting off or worse.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
But how is dying a dog much different from hair spraying and everything else people do to dogs for dog shows? How is that "extreme"? The dog doesn't know it's being dyed. All it knows is that its owner is paying attention to it and petting it and brushing it and likely any owner able to dye and clip a dog like that is someone who has spent a long time making sure the dog associates it with something good.

I bet the dog loves it because it's getting pampered.
I didn't say dying a dog is different from sprayng etc., but when you look at the pictures, there is a lot more going on than just dying and grooming.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
How long does it take to primp and preen dogs for dog shows? For poodles? A long time. And if the dog enjoys the brushing and painting, etc. then how could be abuse?

On top of that, we do plenty of things with dogs to compete against others. Agility and obedience aren't necessary to anything in life. And sometimes dogs get injured in agility. Maybe that's abusive too?
Not that I'd every do this to my dogs, but I agree with this post. Poodles who are shown receive very intensive grooming (I kept 6 pups in show coats for 4 months... uggh, and that was just growing hair) These dogs were likely show dogs, and are quite used to the grooming and pampering. they wouldn't be allowed to use any products that'll cause harm. I know a breeder who co owns a stud. the other half of the ownership takes him and does grooming competitions in the US. She competes in traditional grooming competitions, not this kind, but just because she's not putting colour and fish in the dogs coat, doesn't make it any less of a competition.

I think the dogs look neat, and the people who do the grooming are fantastic artists.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
(Obviously if they told me they would like any of the above then we would come to some arrangement re pocket money and what they would have to finance themselves etc)
Ok so now I'm sitting here imaging your dogs sitting down in front of you and saying "Look Smokeybear...I'd really like a fancy bowl and a nice collar to show off to the ladies/gents."

And you saying "Have you cleaned your room? NO? Then NO ALLOWANCE MONEY FOR YOU!!"

I don't know why this makes me laugh.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I didn't say dying a dog is different from sprayng etc., but when you look at the pictures, there is a lot more going on than just dying and grooming.
I see dying, clipping, and grooming. And then having the dog pose.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Cruelty is not this! For heavens sake, nobody has starved them, put out cigarettes on them, beat them etc.

It is not something that I would do to my dogs, any more than I would put clothes on my dogs or fancy collars, bows, personalised towels, bowls etc etc.

But I have to admire the skill.

Perhaps the pictures should be accompanied by the disclaimer "no animals were harmed in the pursuit of extreme hairdressing" like in films but otherwise I see no harm in it.

Cruelty is when people fail to groom their dogs and leave them so matted they need their coats cutting off or worse.
If it is skill that is being admired, then why don't they do it with a stuffed dummy dog. Same effect. I think this is an unattractive and calculated perversity and in my eye it does border on abuse.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Forgetting about the colors and its being unattractive, as that's in the eye of the beholder. It all comes down to the dog's reaction. Why do YOU think the dog would consider this cruel?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I can't see how spending a lot of time primping a dog can border on abuse, any more than us going to the spa all day can?

Of COURSE it is for OUR benefit, not the dogs (although I reckon if my dogs watched more of those David Attenborough films they too might want a purple bum like those baboons

It is like when they dye those chicks with vegetable dye for Easter, etc, no harm in it.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Forgetting about the colors and its being unattractive, as that's in the eye of the beholder. It all comes down to the dog's reaction. Why do YOU think the dog would consider this cruel?
I don't think dogs do consider what is abusive or cruel - they just do their best to cope with what situation they have to deal with.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Ok so now I'm sitting here imaging your dogs sitting down in front of you and saying "Look Smokeybear...I'd really like a fancy bowl and a nice collar to show off to the ladies/gents."

And you saying "Have you cleaned your room? NO? Then NO ALLOWANCE MONEY FOR YOU!!"

I don't know why this makes me laugh.
this made me laugh more than the original post the fact you actually took time to think out a scenario
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >