View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Cruelty? Oh come on. It's only cruel if the dyes used are dangerous (they're not) or if the dog is terrified (they're not). How is it any worse than the usual grooming poodles go through for a show? I think it's silly. I wouldn't do it (though I've joke about trying to put dark purple streaks in Dahlia's tail). But I don't see how anyone can call this cruel or abusive.

(For real abuse, see the thread called "Patrick" and then try to compare that to pampering your pet and dying it silly colors.)
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
My first thoughts were "April Fools"!!!
Except I've seen some of those pictures going around for ages.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Cruelty? Oh come on. It's only cruel if the dyes used are dangerous (they're not) or if the dog is terrified (they're not). How is it any worse than the usual grooming poodles go through for a show? I think it's silly. I wouldn't do it (though I've joke about trying to put dark purple streaks in Dahlia's tail). But I don't see how anyone can call this cruel or abusive.

(For real abuse, see the thread called "Patrick" and then try to compare that to pampering your pet and dying it silly colors.)
I think you should make her look like a punk rocker
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I think you should make her look like a punk rocker
I think my partner would kill me. LOL

I think it would be hilarious to use temporary dyes to make her a mohawk for Halloween, but I don't think the hair on her head is long enough (she has a smooth head, but fluffy elsewhere!) and dying black hair has to be hard!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Too far IMO. No need for that much grooming.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I think my partner would kill me. LOL

I think it would be hilarious to use temporary dyes to make her a mohawk for Halloween, but I don't think the hair on her head is long enough (she has a smooth head, but fluffy elsewhere!) and dying black hair has to be hard!
Shame her ears don't stick up, you could of given her red 'horns' and a mohawk down her back
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:31 PM

Sorry, but as I said I think it does border on abuse - just think how long it takes to get a dog to look like that. Why is it necessary to turn our animals into a spectacle so that we can compete with it to win something, or gain perverse amusement from them?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Sorry, but as I said I think it does border on abuse - just think how long it takes to get a dog to look like that. Why is it necessary to turn our animals into a spectacle so that we can compete with against others to win something, or gain perverse amusement from them?
How long does it take to primp and preen dogs for dog shows? For poodles? A long time. And if the dog enjoys the brushing and painting, etc. then how could be abuse?

On top of that, we do plenty of things with dogs to compete against others. Agility and obedience aren't necessary to anything in life. And sometimes dogs get injured in agility. Maybe that's abusive too?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:39 PM
How long does it take to primp and preen dogs for dog shows? For poodles? A long time. And if the dog enjoys the brushing and painting, etc. then how could be abuse?

On top of that, we do plenty of things with dogs to compete against others. Agility and obedience aren't necessary to anything in life. And sometimes dogs get injured in agility. Maybe that's abusive too?
I'm probably going to get shot down in flames here, but yes I believe things taken to an extreme level (and the emphasise is on extreme here) done in the name of sport or spectacle with an animal is not intended for the benefit of the animal - it is intended for the gratification of the owner or exhibitor.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I'm probably going to get shot down in flames here, but yes I believe things taken to an extreme level (and the emphasise is on extreme here) done in the name of sport or spectacle with an animal is not intended for the benefit of the animal - it is intended for the gratification of the owner or exhibitor.
But how is dying a dog much different from hair spraying and everything else people do to dogs for dog shows? How is that "extreme"? The dog doesn't know it's being dyed. All it knows is that its owner is paying attention to it and petting it and brushing it and likely any owner able to dye and clip a dog like that is someone who has spent a long time making sure the dog associates it with something good.

I bet the dog loves it because it's getting pampered.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »