Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jaymacv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Doggie breeders - why do you breed?

I'm very curious about this. I'm pretty sure there are lots of breeders on Dogsey, so please answer.
I would love to breed dogs, but obviously I'm not going to do it, with my budget and five kids and small house etc. I've heard about people breeding for money and this really annoys me
Lots of people breed because they would love a puppy from their beloved bitch (and not realising the possible consequences!) Some people breed because they want their children to witness the wonder of nature.
Some people breed just as a hobby.
Why do dogsey members breed?
Sorry if I appear rude, I'm not trying to, I'm just curious.

Jay.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Way back in 50s bred our first bitch because the vet said she ought to have one litter. Kept a puppy & entered breed & obedience shows with her & did well in breed & ok in obedience. Talked to many of the top breeders of the time & learnt a lot. From then on there have been two criteria for my litters the bitch has to be good enough to breed from & I have to want one of the puppies myself. Gradually as tests have become available, they weren't in the 50's, I've also made sure my bitches & the dogs I used have had all the tests recommended by the breed club. Don't breed any longer as I'm not physically able to do so.
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Most breeders have litters to keep a puppy themselves, and improve on what they have.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 02:50 PM
i havent bred a litter yet, but i do plan to breed in the future. i want to breed because dogs are my passion.

i want to further my breed, hopefully make a better dog than what is already out there (although with vanitonia's nora dont think stand much chance of that!)

i want to bring joy to people who want a dog of my breed, want to watch my puppies grow and come on in the world with their new owners.

i plan on keeping a puppy from when i breed, otherwise i simply dont see the point of breeding to be honest. its not there to make profit, at least not if everything is done above board and people truly care about the breed and welfare of the dogs.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I often think about breeding in the future, currently I don't have the funds, time or space to do so, nor any dogs to breed from... But I don't think I could part with the pups. I would love to have a wonderful bitch and raise the pups from day 1 the way I would want but since I like large dogs that would be alot of time, space and money to keep them.... so cant say I will be doing it any time soon. Plus I would feel bad adding more dogs to the world when I could easily just rescue. But thats just IMO
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 05:55 PM
We breed to improve on their lines and the dogs used. To have puppies bred to type, healthy and of good quality with fab tempermants that can go on to excell in the area choosen. We aim to keep a pup from each litter, although that doesnt always work out for what ever reason.
We see the good and bad in our choosen breeding dogs, and work on all bad points we can.
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
You also need to have the facilities to take a dog/puppy back at any stage in its life should the owners circumstances change.

Dog breeding can be rewarding, but also very time consuming. Some breeds can wean puppies without the need for someone there 24/7, but we prefer to be with the puppies the whole time for at least the first two weeks, so a lot of sleepness nights, and something you cant do without help, otherwise you would be a zombie.

Even if you sell some puppies, you can be at a loss financially if you have a small litter and the bitch has whelping compllications, so cost is something to consider too.