Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks SB thats worth a try....
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2004, 01:49 PM
hmm.. as indie is a VERY picky eater, here are some things ive tried adding to her food.... that worked... then failed after a while

Dog Gravy
Dog chocolate drops
Tuna in sunflower oil
Chicken bits
Turkey ham (cut very thinly and mixed)
Grated Cheese
crumbled up biscuits (didnt work)
mashed up banana

and TRIPE!! tripe is wot she has mixed with her food now, and she has it raw. Shes a bit sneaky tho.. i mix it with her dry food, but she eats the tripe and spits out the biscuits

I also found, putting her food into the other dogs bowl makes her want to eat it too
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2004, 10:38 AM
don't all jump on me will you but do you think some dogs are picky cos we add all this stuff ? mine just get fed and if they leave it ..it goes on the bin
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

10-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Mine too Inca. Treacle goes on hunger strike every now and then, she has just come off of a 6 days one. I just cut the amount down so it is not wasted.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2004, 05:52 AM
I agree. Unless a dog is unwell tempting it to eat by adding bits & bobs to its normal rations does more harm than good. They will hold out in the hopes that you will give in and add the gravy, sausages, roast chicken, etc. Very often they win as you become desperate to get them to eat and then you are on the slippery slope of becoming a slave to your dog's appetite. Mine do get tuna, sardines, yoghurt, eggs, etc., but that is part of my normal feeding and they will eat their meat & veg just as enthusiastically when it is not 'garnished'. They know that as soon as they walk away from their dish that it is picked up, finished or not - no second chance.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Ooh, I just found this section Great info. I do think we create monsters though, lol. I'm going to go with your advice SB. I add something to every dry dish of food I put down, but adding several things in addition is a bit too much.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 11:40 PM
I agree with Inca.

meal times with Keena can sometimes be a bit frustrating too...

I add naturediet to her kibble because I have too seeing as she simply will not touch the kibble alone.

That is not really a big problem. The problem starts when she looses interest in them both just because the kibble is there at all and she doesn't want it to be. Then we have a problem because I do not want her have 'wet' food alone because it works out expensive...

So even though I know that she is suppossed to not starve herself and will come around eventually and will eat it does worry me sometimes because she is a growing pup and it bothers me when she snubs her food for days.

I have tried both ways...I have tried adding little tidbits here and there to get her interested and she just finds them, separates them and still leaves the rest and then I get irritated by trying to add more and more only to still be left with all the kibble...Then I have tried just picking up the bowl after 20 or so minutes and not putting it back down till next meal time. I actually prefer the slightly harsh second alternative of taking the food away and giving it back later because otherwise I think they will just expect this special treatment everytime, until you are handfeeding them each individual kibble wrapped in a peice of steak!

I do think that some dogs may not simply like the kibble you are trying to feed them but I have tried different brands and Keena treats them all the same. The only thing I have found works when Keena is refusing to eat is to let our neighbour cat in who goes up to her food to have a look and just the thought of him eating any makes her push him out of the way to eat it herself. I think if we had another dog and there was more competition over food she wouldn't leave any at all. Don't laugh but when the cat isn't available I have even gotten a stuffed cat toy of Keena's and put it near the bowl which makes her eat sometimes...lol...Also I find when I am fed up with waiting for her to eat, instead of chucking the lot in the bin I have tipped it out in the garden on the patio and she will sometimes eat it all there because she knows it is her real last chance to get it.

It is really difficult sometimes and very frustrating seeing that even when she is off her food she will still try to raid bins and try to eat paper towls and cardboard and other stupid things and I just think how can that taste better than the good quality kibble I am paying good money for...lol?...

I really am considering feeding a raw diet now because I just want her to enjoy her food instead of considering it a chore to eat.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Well I've decided to be calm and relax.

I know that Luna will not starve herself to death. So I give her breakkie, and if it isnt eaten in 15 minutes, its taken away again. She has 2 kongs when left alone at home every day, and then at dinnertime, she gets her bowl from the morning, just added garlic....

That's how it works here now. I DO worry, dont get me wrong, but I acting calm
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 07:47 PM
You are doing very well J!

Ruby is a terrible eater, always has been, but she looks fine and is happy so i dont worry too much!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2004, 08:10 PM
myschievous i know exactly how u feel! indie was just like that. I have now resorted to switching her over to raw food. She loves it, and i canvary what she gets too. If she doesnt eat it i put it in fridge til next meal and she always eats by then.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >