Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jotyrrell
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Many breeds though are NOT easy to train are they? High prey driven breeds like Huskies etc.. will be damned hard to train, your FCR will be relatively easy in that respect due to its biddable nature. I get cross because so many people moan when an owner has tried her best and gets slammed for using something that works, cant see the problem I really cant. I appreciate the "keeping on a lead" scenario, but what if the dog escapes?
Surely if he doesnt chase Sheep for fear of getting "zapped" as Patch says thats a good thing as far as the dog and the Sheep are concerned? I mean many Dogs are taught by aggressive Rams and Ewes that they arent to be messed with, same thing? Dog scared of Sheep, doesnt chase them for fear of being butted?
I have to disagree with this e collars are cruel and if it stops him chasing sheep it wont nessesarily stop him getting shot,is the farmer who spots a dog in the field going to wait and see if it chases sheep?maybe maybe not the only sure way to avoid the dog getting shot is to keep him on a leash or longline or walk where there is no sheep,
and if there are sheep outside his back yard supervision at all times to avoid escape
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
A shock collar only `works` when worn - if the dog escapes and is`nt wearing the collar or the handler is`nt within range with the remote, or the baterries fail etc etc, then the collar is not going to `work`.

But if the dog learns that chasing Sheep gets him zapped, would he chase them, collar or not? If you think so, Id like to see some info on that as the only Dog I have had experience of a collar with, was for this reason and he never chased again, and never wore the collar again.

Dawn, the dog still has the issue, nothing has been `fixed`, zapping failed anyway, so the dog was shocked for 20 minutes for nothing in the long run - as is usually the case with these punitive supposed `quick fixes`.
Same as above, gimme details, Im interested.

Are you suggesting all dogs which chase sheep should have that done to them ? Instead of using a lead ?!
Nope Im suggesting that dogs that have shown an "interest" have successfully been taught Sheep are not to be messed with by protective Ewes asserting the "leave me alone" attitue they do in a controlled situation.

Or dog develops such animosity toward them that its not just chasing any more, its going in for the kill...
I don`t agree with the putting dogs in with sheep in that way anyway, both dog and sheep could be horrendously injured and it can back fire very badly on the dogs psyche and make it an even worse issue, it`s not something to say is ok in such an `easy solution` type way, things like that if they are going to be done should only be done by highly experienced experts who are intending on the dogs working so having reason to be around stock and even with someone who knows exactly what they are doing I would`nt allow it to be done to my dogs, there is simply no reason to do it to any non stock-working pet dog , [ your point about dogs being around stock for other working reasons and with permission from the land owner noted by the way ].
Yeah I agree to a point, but I have never known a dog or Sheep for that matter injured in a controlled situation like I mentioned, I also havent personally known a dog turn into a killer because a Sheep butted it.

I would rather do what`s right anyway - and that means keeping them on lead in the vicinity of stock. My three eldest [ collies ], have been temperament tested with sheep under the supervision of an expert, [ when I lived oop North in the heart of sheep country ], I know I don`t have to worry about them chasing sheep, but I am still not prepared to risk them getting shot by a trigger happy or worried farmer who does`nt know from a distance that they are sheep safe.
Point taken, BUT, I say again, in the OP's defence, what if her dog escapes?
Genuinely interested in this one Patch, I dont care for these collars, but do see a place for them in certain circumstances.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Traditionaly the stopped attack was learned with a long leash and a flat collar. The dog was send and recalled at one point. If he didn't come back the long leash was blocked and the dog went flying on his back. Use of a long leash and flat collar both conventional ways of teaching something

Now he is sent with an ecollar and when he doesn't come back he is nnicked just enough to get trough his drives.

Way softer than the traditional method.

And for your friend let him come over and compete with us. I'm very interested in the results.

Greetings

Johan
I don't think he's quite as competitive as you. He works his dogs in the army and saving lives I think is more important to him than winning a competition.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Genuinely interested in this one Patch, I dont care for these collars, but do see a place for them in certain circumstances.
on your earlier point you mentioned the dog associated zapping with chasing sheep not the collar as such - i think that was how it was utilised on the DW example I gave earlier in the thread - the zapp came as the dog focused on the tyres and im speaking from memory, but I did not get the impression that the collar was needed gonig forward as the dog associated the tyre obsession with the consequence
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2008, 09:40 AM
When a dog dies there are always very sympathetic posts containing the exhortation, “run free little dog”. So, obviously, we believe that running free is what a dog would do if he could. We don’t say, “run on your long line little dog” do we?

Ecollar trainers are often described as ‘lazy’ because opponents claim that they do not want to put the work and time in to training by other methods. It is implied, and I think in this thread even acknowledged, that other methods may take longer. (The polarisation of lazy owners after a quick fix versus dedicated owners who patiently train for years.)

Do opponents of ecollars not consider that from the dog’s point of view a premium may be put on the speed of the training – get it done quickly so that they can indeed ‘run free’ at the owner’s discretion (not talking about livestock training here, but general recall around various distractions).

I have seen posts on various forums to the effect that owners have struggled for years to achieve acceptable recall. 4yrs has been mentioned on one forum. For some dogs this may be half their lives. Some have claimed that they would rather their dog were kept on the lead for their whole lives than use an ecollar because they do not expect to ever be able to achieve a reliable recall with their current methods.

Are anti ecollar people not in danger of letting their feelings of distaste for the device override any consideration at to whether the dog would benefit from a training method which they themselves acknowledge as speedier (hence 'lazy') which would allow him to ‘run free’ while he is still capable of enjoying it – something which we as owners hold dear for our dogs?
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
When a dog dies there are always very sympathetic posts containing the exhortation, “run free little dog”. So, obviously, we believe that running free is what a dog would do if he could. We don’t say, “run on your long line little dog” do we?

Ecollar trainers are often described as ‘lazy’ because opponents claim that they do not want to put the work and time in to training by other methods. It is implied, and I think in this thread even acknowledged, that other methods may take longer. (The polarisation of lazy owners after a quick fix versus dedicated owners who patiently train for years.)

Do opponents of ecollars not consider that from the dog’s point of view a premium may be put on the speed of the training – get it done quickly so that they can indeed ‘run free’ at the owner’s discretion (not talking about livestock training here, but general recall around various distractions).

I have seen posts on various forums to the effect that owners have struggled for years to achieve acceptable recall. 4yrs has been mentioned on one forum. For some dogs this may be half their lives. Some have claimed that they would rather their dog were kept on the lead for their whole lives than use an ecollar because they do not expect to ever be able to achieve a reliable recall with their current methods.

Are anti ecollar people not in danger of letting their feelings of distaste for the device override any consideration at to whether the dog would benefit from a training method which they themselves acknowledge as speedier (hence 'lazy') which would allow him to ‘run free’ while he is still capable of enjoying it – something which we as owners hold dear for our dogs?
I agree, to own a dog, especially a breed that would benefit from copious amounts of exercise and freedom and never let it off the lead would seem as cruel to me using an ecollar in a way deemed ethical by the owner of that dog.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 10:17 AM
The purpose of the e-collar in the session I had, was NOT to teach the dog not to chase sheep per se. It was used as a training aid to teach the dog to RESPOND to commands EVEN WHILE in the presence of an enticing distraction (in our case - sheep).

In other words the long term goal (after several ongoing training sessions), is for the dog to respond to commands reliably in the presence of sheep. In this way, the e-collar is not meant as a permanent fixture, but is used as a temporary aid to teach the dog to be obedient without being distracted by its compulsive obsession.

So if my dog escaped, even though he wasn't wearing the collar, the training achieved will have set him up to respond to commands in the presence of sheep.

(Edited to add: )

I can understand those who say it is the 'lazy quick-fix method' as it DOES speed the training up somewhat. After all, as well as the positive methods (praise & reward for responding), it employs negative measures (e-collar use for NOT responding) at the same time, so it is BOUND to achieve results more quickly than positive-ONLY methods. However, I don't think this is lazy - if the dog's behaviour puts him at risk of losing his life, it's URGENT!
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
The purpose of the e-collar in the session I had, was NOT to teach the dog not to chase sheep per se. It was used as a training aid to teach the dog to RESPOND to commands EVEN WHILE in the presence of an enticing distraction (in our case - sheep).

In other words the long term goal (after several ongoing training sessions), is for the dog to respond to commands reliably in the presence of sheep. In this way, the e-collar is not meant as a permanent fixture, but is used as a temporary aid to teach the dog to be obedient without being distracted by its compulsive obsession.

So if my dog escaped, even though he wasn't wearing the collar, the training achieved will have set him up to respond to commands in the presence of sheep.

yeah gotcha, the one i was talking about on DW was for the dog to gain a negative assocation with attacking tyres - before anyone replies to that - thats what they did on the programme...jut passing it on
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post

I would also say 'break a leg' to an actor before they go on stage so I will not be going against my own beliefs on the back of a saying.
In an ideal world all dogs should be able to run free but this isn't always the case. If my dog had a very strong prey drive and had a history of worrying sheep I would find alternative places and methods to exercise him and not resort to punishing him for being a hound and for doing something natural to him. I have a breed of dog who you would be ill-advised to use an E-collar on as they respond to benevolant(sp) training methods only, so I would never use one.
We are never going to all agree and this is MO as I see it but if I live in an area highly populated with sheep, wanted 100% recall and thought it was cruel to have a dog on a lead the majority of the time I wouldn't have chosen one with the possibility of having a high prey drive
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I would also say 'break a leg' to an actor before they go on stage so I will not be going against my own beliefs on the back of a saying.
In an ideal world all dogs should be able to run free but this isn't always the case. If my dog had a very strong prey drive and had a history of worrying sheep I would find alternative places and methods to exercise him and not resort to punishing him for being a hound and for doing something natural to him. I have a breed of dog who you would be ill-advised to use an E-collar on as they respond to benevolant(sp) training methods only, so I would never use one.
We are never going to all agree and this is MO as I see it but if I live in an area highly populated with sheep, wanted 100% recall and thought it was cruel to have a dog on a lead the majority of the time I wouldn't have chosen one with the possibility of having a high prey drive
heres a question on that - would you get a breed that needs a lot of exercise - if you wasnt able to let it run off lead?
Page 55 of 64 « First < 5 45 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 > Last »