Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 06:49 PM

Puppies First Walk!!

Hey,

My puppies went for their first proper walk today!!! They've been used to walking on a lead for about 6 weeks now but have never been anywhere other than the garden due to their vaccinations. Anyway, today i was finally able to take them out and they were SO good!!
I didn't take them on the road too much but the few cars that went past (the puppies sat obediently while they did) didn't upset them too much! Megan barked at the first couple then ignored the rest and Riley just sat there looking cute

Then i let them have a short time off their leads in a field and they were VERY good! They never went more than about 5 feet away from me and came running back when i called them. They have always come back to me when called, but i wasn't sure if they'd be so good in a new place, but they were

One thing i was wondering though... Would it be worth getting those extending leads? We live in the country so theres lots of fields to walk them in and i dont want to risk losing them. As i said they're very well behaved when i call them back.. But would it be a good idea to get an extending lead for each of them just incase?

Thanks!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Oooooh Jessica, that's 2 good puppies you have there (I'm stilling willing to come and get Megan, just say the word )

I've bought a flexi line for Luna, but that's to use in the woods, as we are not allowed to have the dogs off leash in our wood.

But yeah I think it could be a good idea, especially as u have 2 puppies.....
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 06:57 PM
yeah maybe it will be worth it for a while jessica. i let max off the lead from day 1 outside aswell as a lab expert on another site said to me i should as they are more likely to come back when they are not as confident in those first few outings . max has always had very good recall so i think it has worked
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Yeah I think flexi leads would be a good idea. I personally think it helps to prevent dogs from pulling in later life as they never learn to do it as pups!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Yeah katy, Luna was also off lead from day 1, but seeing as she has 2 pups, I thought a flexi line would be a good thing
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Go for it! Glad they had a good first walk! they are gorgeous!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 07:11 PM
i think as long as u use a normal lead on the road and a flexi in open spaces u will be ok. if u use a flexi on the road they dont kno their limits and may pull more.

as they r still young i wud suggest let them off in a big open space
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 07:16 PM
There i no way i would buy i flexi lead for my dog! I bought him one about a month ago and he ran and ran until it went tight then he fell over!!! He is really daft! I say buy one but be careful with them as like with Dougal, if they run the lead might jerk them back when it runs out. If you have nice clam good puppies not like my little monsters ( ) then i would get one. Well done with you pups!

Sarah xxxx
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 07:55 PM
good point dollydaydream. i cant have indie on a flexi anymore cos she doesnt know where the end is and hurts herself when she gets to the end! including falling head over heels. just imaging being tied to the end of a bungee cord that isnt springy! ouch
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I am usless with flex leads too, always get it caked in cowpoo and tangled in bushes ..you lucky thing Jessica spring coming and walks on 'the ham' how I envy you
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >