Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fluffypawz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Costs???

Realistically, how much would people put aside to prepare for a litter? What would you consider the costs of breeding a litter of,say, 6-7 pups?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Last year we had two litters, without food, just vet bills and two sections first litter cost us £1600 second litter £1400, you have to bear in mind too, this didn't include stud fees, fuel costs travelling to stud twice, food for 8 weeks, mum will be eating probably 4 or 5 times as much as normal when feeding her babies, pups eat 5 times daily once weaned, worming of the pups every 2 weeks from 2 weeks of age, registering the litter with the KC, health checks for mum BEFORE mating, new vet bedding, a full whelping kit (Dopram V, Colacal D, etc.) and bottle feeding gear in case of emergencies with formula milk, food to give to the new puppy owners when they leave,.........probably more if I remember, but I always make sure I have at least £2500 put to one side before even thinking about breeding my next litter.

Edited to add: also £25 per pup for final MOT at vets before they leave.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 08:23 PM
about £2.000.............
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2007, 08:38 PM
When Cassy had her litter a friend of mine said it would be interesting to see how much I spent from mating her to when the pups went to their new homes. I noted every penny down for absolutly everything needed for pups and Mother, It came to a staggering £1335 and she had a text book pregnency with no complications
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fluffypawz View Post
Realistically, how much would people put aside to prepare for a litter? What would you consider the costs of breeding a litter of,say, 6-7 pups?
Hi Fluffypawz on top of the initial costs of stud fees/veterinary costs you have to factor in the costs of keeping puppies for life if you are unable to sell them/keeping puppies which may be returned to you with problems that make them unsuitable for re homing/ veterinary costs for life on any puppies born with health problems.
Of course non of the above may happen but a good breeder is prepared for these eventualities, that way their puppies don't end up in rescue homes.
Fluffypawz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone. Have bred before but never sat down to tally casts. Might have another litter later in the year so will cost it as it goes along to see how much you actually spend. Realistic costs being made public may put off some of the farmers out there as well...if they think they won't make as much as they think that is.
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm in a slightly different position as I own my own stud dog plus my vet costs are lower here in Wales.
I have a litter of 5 here at the moment and so far it's cost me £480
Bearing in mind I haven't yet bought the puppy food for new owners or taken them for their 8 week injection and final vet check
I'll probably end up with spending around £700-£800 which may not seem like a lot but then again I'll only get half the amount for my pups that a similar breeder would get in England.
Last litter I had (3 pups) I just about broke even