Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 07:56 PM

Research or not?

I am sure this has been asked before but what sort of research into your dogs pedigree should you do before you have a litter?

Is it enough to know a parent or grandparent was/is a Champion?
Do you really need to know what colour the gt.grandparetns were?
What about Temprament of dogs going back 4 generations?
What about litter brother and sister not shown are they to breed standard?
Is the price and locality of the stud dog an important issue?
What health check scores is the dog or bitch?
Do they compliment your bitch or does that not matter?
Is the bitch you mate your stud dog to "good enough"
Just wondering?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 08:00 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!! I dont know any of these things about Luna.....

I saw an add, called and after 3 visits over the next 7 weeks, I went home with Luna....

But then again I dont show, so to me it doesnt really matter. I have her pedigree and can see the hips and elbows are fine on all dogs.........

Edited to say:

I completely misunderstood this post, sorry.... Just ignore me post!!!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Its not something I have thought about as I have no plans to breed
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 08:13 PM
it wud be interestin to see breeders views on this
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I have done most of this ...........health is more important than say CHAMPIONS..... I would have to know if the pedigree of both sire and dam has dogs with any heart or eye problems and more importantly SM ....... I think it is important if you are to breed to know the colours of the dogs behind yours and the sire.....I would and have travelled long distance for the right dog that will compilmemt my girl..........and yes tempermemt is important for a future litter .......I would only ever breed from a bitch or use a stud dog that was a good example of the breed ...........I research long and hard to make sure the match is right
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 09:13 PM
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 10:12 PM
lol@j!!
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2004, 11:59 PM
aw j we still love you despite you being a bit barmy at times
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz
I am sure this has been asked before but what sort of research into your dogs pedigree should you do before you have a litter?

Is it enough to know a parent or grandparent was/is a Champion?
Do you really need to know what colour the gt.grandparetns were?
What about Temprament of dogs going back 4 generations?
What about litter brother and sister not shown are they to breed standard?
Is the price and locality of the stud dog an important issue?
What health check scores is the dog or bitch?
Do they compliment your bitch or does that not matter?
Is the bitch you mate your stud dog to "good enough"
Just wondering?
Good post Kazz, personally I think that breeding is entered into too lightly theese days. I think first and foremost anybody considering breeding (whatever breed) should have all the necessary health checks done, it goes without saying, if you cant afford or dont want to do this then I cant see the need to breed (unfortunatley though as we know this isnt the case with most people breeding today).

I think you should know the line in which you intend to breed from very well (parents, grandparents as far back as possible) and choose a stud dog who compliments your bitch and who himself has had the necessary health checks done. I think that (in my opinion at least) colour should be of very little importance and certainly I would never breed for colour alone I think that is one sure fire way of runing a breed because when doing so most other things go out the window.

I suppose in all its about finding the right balance of everything. You should be experienced enough to know your breed well and to be able to pick out a good stud and have good homes lined up for the pups before breeding. You should be willing to put in a lot of time, money and effort getting the necessary health checks done and finding the right homes not just selling to anybody who comes thruogh the door.

Overall, I would say that the main reason somebody should breed is to improve on what they alreay have, improve their line or improve the general gene pool. If you arent doing this or putting something back in then I cant see a reason to breed to be honest with you, of course thats just my opinion and I am sure some will differ in theirs.

Laura
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Well we take breeding very seriosly and find out as much as possible going back 4/5 generations and researching the temperment health, comformation etc.

We research alot before breeding, after all the parents, grand, and grt grand dads and mums make the puppies
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >