Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Steam cleaners

Does anyone own a steam cleaner?

I've seen a couple of 'info-mercials' this weekend (the side effect of being up early to let the puppy out!) and they seem like a good idea.

We have wooden/laminate floors thorough out the house and it seems like a really useful thing for cleaning them, plus cleaning puppy smell out of the sofa/curtains, not to mention cleaning various other things around the house/

So, do you have one, what type do you have and would you recommend it?

Thank you
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I do not own one, but I rent one occassionally, I would be careful on wood/laminate floors, they could lift.

I think the ones you can rent are more powerful than the domestic ones, also if you live in a hard water area it can rapidly reduce their efficacy.
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2012, 01:21 AM
hiya
i have a karcher one and find its great on all my floors- all the flat is either tiles or laminate with two carpets in the bedrooms. i like the drying time which is minutes instead of tip-toeing around the edge of the room lol! very handy when lots of muddy paws are around! and its soo easy to clean venetian blinds/shower door/taps/toilet/carpets etc etc etc. it came with tablets to pop in if you have a hard water area or limescale but i dont use them as we're a soft water area and i think it was about eighty pounds in tesco sale.
hope this helps
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2012, 05:53 AM
I've had an expensive Polti one, it worked fine for a while, then it died I then bought a mid-range Hoover one, which again, worked fine for a while, then it died too even though I always used de-ionised water which helps to protect them, and the only steam appliance that seems to be going on forever is my steam mop. I won't be buying any more of these steamers, I think the best bet is just to hire one when you need it.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-04-2012, 06:19 AM
We have one, brill on the tiled floors, stopped using it on the wooden floors as small strange holes started to appear

don't know about laminate