Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Crufts is supposed to be the crem-de-la-crem event of the dog showoff year, a showcase (I personally don't think it is) but it is organised by The Kennel Club and there is something for everyone - the rules are on their website. It is an International Event. I don't think anybody can get BOB in the first year with only owning one dog and starting out (but you could try your Bobo in the Agility, Flyball or obedience if you have been to a club. It is all quite complicated. I would like to go again this year (as a spectator) if my trusty steed (car) will get me there, but it should be if I look after it and feed and water it.
What? Any qualified dog whether its their first dog or not can win at ANY champ show, thats what Crufts is, a champ show.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
What? Any qualified dog whether its their first dog or not can win at ANY champ show, thats what Crufts is, a champ show.
Isn't that what I said Borderdawn
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2010, 01:01 PM

I did not read it as such.

Originally Posted by aerolor
Crufts is supposed to be the crem-de-la-crem event of the dog showoff year, a showcase (I personally don't think it is) but it is organised by The Kennel Club and there is something for everyone - the rules are on their website. It is an International Event. I don't think anybody can get BOB in the first year with only owning one dog and starting out (but you could try your Bobo in the Agility, Flyball or obedience if you have been to a club. It is all quite complicated. I would like to go again this year (as a spectator) if my trusty steed (car) will get me there, but it should be if I look after it and feed and water it
You said you dont think anyone can get BOB at Crufts with a single dog or a first timer... thats not true, anyone who has qualified their dog for Crufts has an equal chance as any other to win a BOB or CC there.

After all its just one more show, and even the newbie with their first dog will have gone through the same process of qualification to exhibit at Crufts, so are in as good a place as any to win a coveted title.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Nope, you said you DIDNT think anyone could get BOB in their first year starting out, and with only one dog, they can.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Nope, you said you DIDNT think anyone could get BOB in their first year starting out, and with only one dog, they can.
I stand corrected Borderdawn
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 03:34 PM
I think its a shame that people are critisising those willing to give up time to support their breed, when they havent volunteered nor done anything to change it as they seem to think things are wrong. I feel very sorry for those breeds, it will be worth chatting to them this time and see how they feel about it themselves.
We are very lucky with the English Setters on DD, we have a couple of well known champ show judges/breeders that take their show dogs as well as some oldies, and there are several people that rotate over the days...I am always proud to direct people to our stand there as I know they will get a warm welcome and some great information
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I stand corrected Borderdawn
Not a problem, just didnt want novices to think they wouldnt stand a chance.

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
We are very lucky with the English Setters on DD, we have a couple of well known champ show judges/breeders that take their show dogs as well as some oldies, and there are several people that rotate over the days...I am always proud to direct people to our stand there as I know they will get a warm welcome and some great information
All my helpers are champ show judges, and most of them own and bring champions to the stand, as well as youngsters and oldies. I also have "pet" people and "agility" people if I can.

I agree with you about the welcome too.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Firstly in reply to Dawn, I love DD but last time was on with two numpties who had 1 welsh bitch theyd had spayed at 16 weeks on the advice of there vet who spent all day recommending this til I lost it completly, now they seem to think I should be on with these to "give advice" I almost snapped last time this time will only do it if I'm on with a sane person so not looking good.
In Reply to Loki, of course I'll let the public look at my dog on the bench and answer questions but I'm not prepared to do what the KC want and leave my dog on the bench for 9 hours with a few 10 min toilet breaks.
If you've had a problem with the dogs on DD that is really not the problem of the dogs in the show,many of who are unused to the pressure of such a massive crowd.
I said I'd never do Crufts again after a child a couple of years ago fed spence a toffee and I had to spend £100 at the vets getting a tooth removed.
And we were watching him but we had three dogs entered.
So until the public learns how to treat dogs I'll continue to take mine werever I go.
By the way this will be the last time I defend myself on here in fact goodbye all , sick of the general back bitting that goes on you might all want to think before you type or perhaps learn to ask questions in a more civilised manner.
Em I'll email you hun look forward to seeing you xx

sorry if I offended you, I just didn't understand what you were saying in your earlier post. I though you meant that if someone wants to see a breed they should go to DD. The dog at DD when I discovered my breed was nice, but he wouldn't have caught my eye. He was overly small and light for a male, and a very uncommon colour. I wouldn't have noticed him, that's all I meant! I wasn't critising you in any way. This will be my first Crufts so not sure what to expect, but I'm pretty sure I'll be hanging round the benches all day anyway. My friends and I look out for each other's dogs if we need to go anywhere.

I think its a shame that people are critisising those willing to give up time to support their breed, when they havent volunteered nor done anything to change it as they seem to think things are wrong. I feel very sorry for those breeds, it will be worth chatting to them this time and see how they feel about it themselves.
Not sure if you mean me Dawn, but I have volunteered! The people who used to organise DD for our breed were not fussy who represented them and there were all sorts of people (as Morganstar said) who shouldn't be giving advice on their breed! Thankfully the committee has had a reshuffle and they are now making sure that people on DD can properly represent the breed. They only have fabulous people like me this year
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Not sure if you mean me Dawn, but I have volunteered! The people who used to organise DD for our breed were not fussy who represented them and there were all sorts of people (as Morganstar said) who shouldn't be giving advice on their breed! Thankfully the committee has had a reshuffle and they are now making sure that people on DD can properly represent the breed. They only have fabulous people like me this year
Its not a direct target to anyone, I was just a little upset to think people were complaining about DD and doing nothing about it. Im pleased your lot has sorted it out.

Its a HUGE task and I dont think people appreciate just how much work goes into it, its really stressful to say the least.
rottalmarotts
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I will be there 2 days, Thursday for showing we have 4 dogs qualified but only taking 2 cos the other 2 don't like the NEC Will be performing yes that's the right word for it in the Rott and the ACD ring. Will also be on the ACD stand for DD on Saturday afternoon. Pop and say hello !!!
Page 9 of 13 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »