Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
By the way Dawn refer to my earlier post but I did mean not looking forward to Crufts not DD first time in 2 years I've been tempted to do it. I love champ shows but hate Crufts and the crowds. Also DD is used as an excuse in some breeds for a free ticket in and a dog pass, not saying this happens in every breed but it can be a problem. I think it could be a lot better policed I love DD but as I've said not prepared to sit there on gundog day and be politically correct to novice dog owners.
Well thats not the case in my breed, we are there to promote our breed in a true and responsible light. If you know otherwise, whatever breed it is, Id mention it to the KC. I dont doubt some people use DD to get a dog in, but I can only say please do something about it.

Firstly in reply to Dawn, I love DD but last time was on with two numpties who had 1 welsh bitch theyd had spayed at 16 weeks on the advice of there vet who spent all day recommending this til I lost it completly, now they seem to think I should be on with these to "give advice" I almost snapped last time this time will only do it if I'm on with a sane person so not looking good
Again, people are not there to promote spaying or neutering, you should of written or spoken to the breed club and made your point to them very clear, its about the breed and nothing else. When Im allotting people for different days, I always tell them who else will be on that day, and any of them are free to change if they wish, Id hate to think that anyone was there with somebody they would rather not be. I also have several people if possible for each day, ensuring everyone has time for themselves, their dogs and time to get around if they so choose.

Perhaps you should raise your concerns, breeds need people with experience, they dont need people who are uncomfortable with the people they are working with, thats not fair on anyone.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2010, 09:38 AM
The thing I find with DD and our breeds is that in greyhounds it is done by the greyhound rescue groups and they only have ex racers on the stand. Unless it is hound day and people actually go down to hall 5 and the greyhound ring they will never learn that there are actually 2 types of greyhound and they are quite different. If anyone wants to go into showing greyhounds they will only see the ex racers on the breed stand. Not that you can't show an ex racer I do myself but to ber serious about showing the breed you need a show bred.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Firstly in reply to Dawn, I love DD but last time was on with two numpties who had 1 welsh bitch theyd had spayed at 16 weeks on the advice of there vet who spent all day recommending this til I lost it completly, now they seem to think I should be on with these to "give advice" I almost snapped last time this time will only do it if I'm on with a sane person so not looking good.
In Reply to Loki, of course I'll let the public look at my dog on the bench and answer questions but I'm not prepared to do what the KC want and leave my dog on the bench for 9 hours with a few 10 min toilet breaks.
If you've had a problem with the dogs on DD that is really not the problem of the dogs in the show,many of who are unused to the pressure of such a massive crowd.
I said I'd never do Crufts again after a child a couple of years ago fed spence a toffee and I had to spend £100 at the vets getting a tooth removed.
And we were watching him but we had three dogs entered.
So until the public learns how to treat dogs I'll continue to take mine werever I go.
By the way this will be the last time I defend myself on here in fact goodbye all , sick of the general back bitting that goes on you might all want to think before you type or perhaps learn to ask questions in a more civilised manner.
Em I'll email you hun look forward to seeing you xx
No worries hun, look forward to it, it'll be nice to catch up.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Personally ive always found DD so disapointing,
Yeah I have to say it's always a bit of a disappointment for me too. So many on the stands seem unwilling to chat which is a bit bizarre considering that's what they're there to do surely!

I've always wanted to go to Discover Dogs (is it in London now?) that's on later in the year, but DD at Crufts always puts me off.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I've not done crufts before....can I go to DD on a normal day ticket? I'm going on Sat is DD still on? x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I've not done crufts before....can I go to DD on a normal day ticket? I'm going on Sat is DD still on? x
Yes DD is on every day at Crufts it's included in the normal ticket, located in Hall 3 I think? You can't miss it tbh!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yes DD is on every day at Crufts it's included in the normal ticket, located in Hall 3 I think? You can't miss it tbh!
Awesome the kids will love it Thank you (sorry if I sound like a dumb novice hee hee!) xx
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Kids just got really excited at the thought of seeing loads of different breeds think its an excellent way of them getting to see so many lovely dogs
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I think its a shame that people are critisising those willing to give up time to support their breed, when they havent volunteered nor done anything to change it as they seem to think things are wrong. I feel very sorry for those breeds, it will be worth chatting to them this time and see how they feel about it themselves.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Lucky you!

How do you qualify for Crufts? (total show dunce here) I don't "get" how the whole show thing works at all to be honest...although I'd like to try it one day
but perhaps not with the insane beast known as Bobo, despite her glamour!
Crufts is supposed to be the crem-de-la-crem event of the dog showoff year, a showcase (I personally don't think it is) but it is organised by The Kennel Club and there is something for everyone - the rules are on their website. It is an International Event. I don't think anybody can get BOB in the first year with only owning one dog and starting out (but you could try your Bobo in the Agility, Flyball or obedience if you have been to a club. It is all quite complicated. I would like to go again this year (as a spectator) if my trusty steed (car) will get me there, but it should be if I look after it and feed and water it.
Page 8 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »