Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loutrue
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Front leg pains

This is my 1st time on this forum.

I have a Black Lab/German Shepeherd cross pup called Toby he is 9months old.

About 2 months ago he got a pain in his right front leg he was limping and crying so took him to the vets. he was given pain killers and it got better quickly with a couple of days rest. Now he has it in his left front leg, He doesnt limp all the time but holds his leg funny. This morning he is limping quite bad but not crying like the last time he has had this for a week now and I am getting concerned. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

I am waiting for my husband to come home as he said he will see how bad it is and then maybe get him in the vets but money is very tight at the moment, he is insured but we have to pay the 1st £60 and that is going to be a struggle.

Please help
Thankyou Louisa
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi.

Firstly, what a great mix dog to have

On to your question, could it be growing pains? What food are you feeding?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Could be panosteitis. Daisy had one bout just after I got her then came in season and it never re-occurred. I did have her x-rayed to rule out more reious problems though.
Google Pano in GSDs and you`ll find a lot of info - it seems to be fairly common.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Could be panosteitis. Daisy had one bout just after I got her then came in season and it never re-occurred. I did have her x-rayed to rule out more reious problems though.
Google Pano in GSDs and you`ll find a lot of info - it seems to be fairly common.
hiya
poor lad
yes it could be as claireandDaisy says,also i would be a little concered about 'ocd' as this is the age where it could be becomming apparent
is your lad nice and slim(like a lanky teenager)?
loutrue
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Yes I would say he is nice and lean and I always say he is lanky. He's all legs
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2009, 01:31 PM
My first thought was pano too. My boy had it for about 6 months on and off when he was growing like a weed, it made him feel very lethargic and miserable. The vet put him on anti inflammatories and they do the trick but just when you think it's gone, it comes back again. The fact that it's now the other leg also makes me think it's pano as this is a classic symptom. The only way to really diagnose it is with x rays which will mean paying the £60 excess but it's worth it if you can manage it for peace of mind and getting the right treatment, particularly as this may not be the last bout of it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 01:38 PM
We;lcome to Dogsey.
I can't really give you any advice but just want to say I hope it's nothing serious and that the little lad is better soon.
loutrue
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the advice of to the vets at 5. Having read about pano this is what it sounds like as he has gone off his food aswell
loutrue
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Sorry I fed him Wainwrights large breed puppy food, when he will eat it
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2009, 10:41 AM
My GSD who grew lanky as a teenager had recurring bouts of pano, affected all four legs at different times but only one leg at a time. MY vet said if it goes on after he is 18 months we'll do tests xrays etc but after 16 months it vever occured again.