Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 12:53 PM

How to introduce a male to Samson

Hi, bit of a weird question, I have a lady I vaguely know around the corner, she has a male staffy 17 months old who is adorable, Through a few personal problems, she said she may have to re-home him as she cant walk him often.
I told her I won't mind walking him a few times a week and took him last night on a long line over the fields.
He is a lovely boy, although it is ok to do it separately obviously it would be easier if he could come with me and my 2 , but here is where i'm stuck, Samson is nervy and jumpy at times in close proximity to other males and sometimes air snaps, so would the walking together even be possible, I know to allow them to meet on neutral ground, but I would be there so not really neutral as I am Samsons mum.
Any thoughts welcome please xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Could you get the staffie's owner to walk with him, you and your two and see how they react. I personally would do an on-lead walk to start with, not allowing them to even say hello but just start walking and chatting. That is how I've been introducing my nervous dogs to new dogs and it works brilliantly as they don't have time to think about it and soon realise that there is nothing to worry about.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Good idea jenny, yes that could be worth asking her, she wants to keep him so i'm sure she would go for that
Also if I only took him every other day, would I get the same 'new' reaction each time or would they remember (of course I know they remember, but do you know what I mean).
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Jenny's idea is spot on, worth giving it a go, and gradually getting them used to a bit of togetherness
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks TW, Yes I think I will suggest that to her, he was fine going out with just me, he gave mum a kiss and off we went lol, Samson point blank refuses to leave the house without me so I thought he may be the same, but no
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2013, 02:47 PM
I've found with my dog it's dogs he doesn't know that tend to trigger him the most, there are a selection close by that he sees regularly that he doesn't take any notice of.

I think JennyG's idea is perfect, that way they get used to the scent of each other, it's a nice relaxed walk, nobody's worried, no stress and the next time hopefully they'll have positive associations with each other.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Good idea jenny, yes that could be worth asking her, she wants to keep him so i'm sure she would go for that
Also if I only took him every other day, would I get the same 'new' reaction each time or would they remember (of course I know they remember, but do you know what I mean).
I had to get Holly used to a Shih Tzu I walk 5/6 times a week. It took 2-3 walks before she didn't react to him, he didn't react back to her which helped. She has to see dogs often to not react to them, a dog often comes to a fence that I walk past and she doesn't react to him anymore either. Also Gizmo has been ill a few times as he is old so she hasn't seen him for about a week nearly two once and she didn't react to him at all.

It took Holly two to three weeks before she got used to Lola. But she was a puppy and gets excited easily. Holly still tells her off but she is relaxed around her. I suppose it would depend on the dog and your dog.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks Baxter and Vicky, her dog like Samson is very interested in other dogs and both if snapped at will retreat rather than fight back so I'm lucky in that respect, I think if I introduce them right they will be perfect play mates. It's nice to hear that they get over the unfamiliarity after a few meets