Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anna1
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2009, 04:26 PM

Dog Castration

Hi
I have a German Spitz dog who is just 3 years old, I got him castrated on the 20 April 2009, but ever since this was done, he is aggresive towards other dogs, and when my sisters dog gets near me, my dog grawls and seems to be protecting me. The other dog and mine Sam have always got on really well no problems when Josh comes up to me Sam is ok, but now there seems to be a problem, he was not aggresive before, and this type of dog are not an aggresive breed. I have spoken to the vets who said this does sometimes happen, whats happening is Sam is protecting me, and looking after himself. Hormone imbalance and testoronia have been messed up, and suggested a see a dog behaviourst, but how will this solve the hormone inbalance?
Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did you do? Is medication available?
Hope someone can help!!

Thanks Anna
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I understand that because castration removes the ability to produce testosterone, some male dogs become insecure and less confident which leads them to develop this defensive aggressive behaviour. I don't know of any treatment which can be adminstered to counteract the loss of testosterone but your vet is the best person to speak to about this.

I think the only thing you can do is to try, with the help of a behaviourist, to help him regain his confidence. Good luck with your dog - from your avantar he looks very handsome indeed!
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Hi you are quite right when you say that spitz are not an agressive breed and his behaviour is abnormal - most are not even particularly owner obsessed.

You've only had him castrated just over a month ago and it will take approximately 6 months for all the male hormones to leave his system, it is certainly far too early to say that it is a hormone imbalance.

I take it this behaviour has only been going on for the last month - could he still be a bit sore from his op and not wanting to play too much - long shot but one of mine was incredibly badly bruised after his castration and it took a while to heal.

It does sound more behavioural than hormonal to be honest - my male spitz is a great wuss and will growl in defence though doesn't actually mean it - it's more just a go away leave me alone grizle (but then if you saw what the girls did to him at times you'd not blame him)

Can i ask - purely from being nosey - why did you have him castrated and were you warned about the fun your going to have with his coat

I definately need more photos of him - as another spitz owner - what breeding is he?
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2009, 07:51 AM
In Australia the recommended age for neutering is 6 months old... When dogs already have all their hormones etc. working, neutering rarely works..
Anna1
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Kate
No I was not warned about his coat or that he may become aggressive, I has Sam castrated because I was told about health issues. I had another German Spitz called Tobi he was castrated when he was 8yrs old, and nothing like what Sam is going through. (Tobi passed away 3 years ago he was 15yrs old.) What do you mean I will have fun with his coat? (Nothing happened to Tobi's Coat!)
So are you saying that I should go to a behaviourist as my vet suggested?. I will send you some pictures of Sam and my other German spitz Tobi. But not sure how to do this any advise would be appreciated so that I can send some more pictures. Sam is a mittell.
Thanks Anna
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Vets unfortunatley profit from castration and use it as a cure all of everything and anything a dog can get, pyhsically and mentally!! Like your dog, it often has a negative effect. With not telling you the possible downsides to what they told you would be a good thing, id ask your Vet to pay for your dog to see a bahaviourist!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
In Australia the recommended age for neutering is 6 months old... When dogs already have all their hormones etc. working, neutering rarely works..
However early neutering does affect the normal growth of male dogs(as it does females as well)

Evidence suggests that early neutering may also predispose to endocrine disorders later in life (Panciera DL. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc., 204:761-7 1994.). Furthermore, there is also an indication that early neutering (because absence of sex hormones delays maturation of osteoclasts and thus results in delayed closing of the growth plates in the long-bones) may predispose to increased risk for various orthopedic disorders (such as cruciate ligament disease ). Also, evidence suggests that there is a correlation between increased time for growth plate closure and incidence of HD (Todhunter et al. J. Am. Vet Assoc., 1997)
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Anna1 View Post
Hi Kate
No I was not warned about his coat or that he may become aggressive, I has Sam castrated because I was told about health issues.
Hi Anna

were the health reasons you were advised to have him castrated from another breeder/owner of german spitz or a general vet recommendation?

That aside, i've never know as GS become aggressive post castration, if you wish i can ask on a breed specific list i belong to if anyone else has experience of this.

As for the coat - you were lucky with Tobi, the majority of GS males when castrated get a very long fluffy coat that requires much more grooming than the average GS coat. Some lines, which are traditionally more heavy coated, seem to be worse for this.

Have you spoken to Sam's breeder about it?
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh great. On the advice of our therapist and trainer our 15 month old Kooiker was castrated yesterday in the hope of reducing his unpredictable fear aggression tendancy! Wish I hadn't read the previous posts! Our vet here in Belgium says that castrating before maturity prevents normal developement into adulthood. This seems to tie in with the post above, but contradicts the Australian thinking. All I can do now is hope he doesn't get worse!!!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I have heard that castration can release a 'surge' of testosterone and all will calm down after a while!

I have never heard about it worsening aggression? It seems to either not change them at all or calms them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >