Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Charisma Love
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2006, 01:54 PM

cheaper quotes for kc registered dogs?

A lady who works at the local pet shop asked me if our new puppy was KC registered. I said that although his parents were, we wern't going to bother since we got him as a family pet and feel that there are enough homeless dogs in the world without contributing more puppies by breeding anyway. She then said that even if we didn't intend on having him at stud, we'd get cheaper insurance cover on him if he was registered.

So far I haven't seen any evidence of this...Is it true?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 09:28 PM
I've never seen any evidence that KC registration makes insurance any cheaper. In fact, I don't think the comapnies I have insured with ahve even asked if the dogs are KC registered.

You may find it difficult to get insurance for a Shar-Pei as they are excluded from cover by many companies. You may also find that any companies who do offer to insure the breed will charge a higher premium to do so.

Only the breeder of your pup can register him with the KC, it is not a decision that is up to you. I presume he is not registered if you have not been given the registration certificate to transfer ownership to your name. I would actually question why the litter were not registered with the KC if the parents are registered as this would ring alarm bells with me, personally.

Oh, and being KC registered has nothing to do with an intention to breed. There are thousands of KC registered dogs who will 'only' ever be much-loved pets and never be bred from, my own included.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2006, 09:48 PM
mine will insure shar pei and they are quite reasonable I think.
http://www.1stquote.co.uk/
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola View Post
Only the breeder of your pup can register him with the KC, it is not a decision that is up to you. I presume he is not registered if you have not been given the registration certificate to transfer ownership to your name. I would actually question why the litter were not registered with the KC if the parents are registered as this would ring alarm bells with me, personally.
I was beginning to wonder about that myself.. I have heard people talk about "them" KC registering their pup!!! And thought "I" was wrong.. So glad you are thinking the same as me!! Is this a "line" that people give them to sell them a pup?? You SHOULD get the transfer documents when you hand over payment...I know I did.. both times..

There are thousands of KC registered dogs who will 'only' ever be much-loved pets and never be bred from, my own included.
Mine too:smt002
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Sorry, I forgot to add in my previous post...

If you are looking for an insurance policy for your pup and you find a comapay who accept Shar-Pei for cover, please be sure you read the terms of the policy very carefully for any exclusions etc. You should also be looking for 'life' cover as many companies will only pay out for one year for any given condition, meaning that you would be liable for any bills for treatment required after that time. With life cover, you will be covered up to a certain amount of money per year (my policy is £7,000 per year, for example), but as long as you renew your policy each year and pay your premiums, the condition will be covered for the lifetime of the dog.

Shar-Pei are unfortunately prone to a variety of disorders (which is the reason that a lot of companies will not insure them), most of which require ongoing treatement so you will want to be very sure you are adequateley covered. Vet bills can mount up fast...as I am finding out with one dog having just completed treatment for a skin complaint and another undergoing surgery today
Charisma Love
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:13 AM
oh good luck with the surgery on your dog ShaynLola!

I was told by the lady who sold him to us that she was originally breeding shar-peis with her boyfriend, but he left her with her two kids and nine puppies to look after and the parents. Even though she said the parents were registered she said she didn't know how to register the pups (lack of internet I presume), and so she was selling them a little cheaper (£400). She'd had other breeders call her up and shout at her for ruining their business because she was selling them so cheap and some people offered to buy five but she declined as she was worried they'd use them for fighting. I saw the parents and they did look like full pedigrees to me, but I suppose it is possible that they wern't really registered.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Charisma Love View Post
oh good luck with the surgery on your dog ShaynLola!

I was told by the lady who sold him to us that she was originally breeding shar-peis with her boyfriend, but he left her with her two kids and nine puppies to look after and the parents. Even though she said the parents were registered she said she didn't know how to register the pups (lack of internet I presume), and so she was selling them a little cheaper (£400). She'd had other breeders call her up and shout at her for ruining their business because she was selling them so cheap and some people offered to buy five but she declined as she was worried they'd use them for fighting. I saw the parents and they did look like full pedigrees to me, but I suppose it is possible that they wern't really registered.
Slightly OT-but you do not need the internet to register puppies with the KC Infact i'm not totally sure if this is considered the practise now at all!
No offence-but that sounds somewhat fishy too me-JMO.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Are you sure the parents are'nt related ?
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I can only echo what Shaynlola hand others have said, the circumstances that surround the pup are suspisious Did you check the parents pedigrees too??

Anyhow all of the researching your breeders and pedigrees ect should have been done before the pup was bought.

I know you were looking for a pet but you need to makes sure your not a)buying a "farmed" pup and supporting iligitmate breeders (i cant see breeders falling out with each other because another is selling "cheaper" pups!!!! Alarm bells should have been ringing at this point and i suspect something else is going on)

Also i have never heard of a breeder that does not know how to reg ister their puppies - im thinking that they have had restictions which have not beeen lifted put on their breeding dogs forom the original breeder that they are not to have pups!

and b) If the dogs have meen to closley line bred ie brother and sister - if this has been done flippantly by unexperianced breeders it can cause all sorts of problem for the puppy and buyer.

I wish you all the best of luck with your new pup and by no means want to put a downer on what will obviously be a loved pet,. However i feel that the purchase was a little rushed and not all reaserch (maybe the breed but certanly not into the breeders) has been done. Researching your breeder is always just as important!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I had both a KC registrered dog and a non-KC registered dog. Both cost me the same to insure.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >