View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Little Monkeys
New Member!
Female 

25-02-2015, 12:53 PM

Is it fair to get a third dog? Long post...

I have been through pages and pages on the forum reading about introducing puppies to an older dog and it has been very helpful, but can't see anything specific to my question....

I have two 6 year old BC littermate boys. I love these dogs so much and they make me very happy. I think they are happy dogs too, but they have typical BC traits. Both are/can be nervous but they have quite different personalities.

Ben is very playful and excitable, he has nipped a dog before when off lead when the excitement of the chase seemed to get too much. He has a tendency to go deaf when something more exciting than me appears in the field, but is very attached to Max and Max doesn't pay too much attention to the same things as Ben.

Max tends to avoid any situations he isn't happy with unless pushed when he may warn off a dog or person with a snap or by jumping up. Max can be reactive on lead and if someone strange comes into the house. I tend to avoid lead walking in busy areas and seldom have strangers in the house so for us, we haven't had much of a problem with him. He has never shown any unwanted behaviour off lead and has a good recall. He doesn't like being far from my side.

For the last couple of years I have toyed with the idea of having a third. Would it be fair to Ben and Max, could I manage it, would I feel guilty, do I really need to get another one, etc.

At this stage, I am assuming I would get another BC and that it would be a puppy rather than an older dog. My reason for that, perhaps misguided, is that I feel it would be easier to guide a puppies behaviour into what it needed to be in order for it to fit in. I know puppies may have behavioural troubles even when properly trained, but my feeling is that a rescue dog may already be unsettled or fearful and ....I don't really know what I'm trying to say. I just feel that I would worry more about whether a rescue would be happy as well as would my dogs be happy, but maybe a puppy would not have formed too many habits or expectations. Sorry if that sounds daft or wrong. Also, because Max isn't good with people he doesn't know, it may be hard to do meetings with a rescue dog.

Another concern I have is that Ben and Max have had this close bond all of their lives. Ben was rehomed for 3 months when he was young as I was going through a divorce and it all got a bit messy, but luckily for me I was able to have him back. I think that I am putting too many of my human emotions into what the dogs might feel. I don't want them to be upset by me bringing another dog into the house, but I know it's normal for existing pets to feel a bit unsettled or act up.

Someone asked me the other day why I was thinking of getting another dog. My first reason was 'because I love dogs'. My second reason is that when the horrible day comes that Ben or Max are no longer with me, I don't want the other dog to be lonely. I don't intend to be without dogs at any point, so i know I would over another dog, but hopefully when that day comes, the remaining dog willbe quite old. If that is the case, it would probably be unfair to bring another dog in and I'm thinking that old age and pain may cause a little more aggression.

Are these concerns normal? Is there ever a right time to get another dog? For those of you who have got puppies or rescue dogs when you already had a dog, what made you want to do it and did you ever question your decision?

I'd be really grateful for anyone's thoughts either for or against it
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I have just the one dog and for a year or so I was really thinking about getting another Tortured myself with questions and what if's, like you,so I believe its totally normal to feel all of that( its fine,you're not going insane )great,that you are putting so much thought into it and not rushing into anything
My Lacey is 11 and for that reason I decided against.Not right for her, or us as a family right now.Took me a while to finally admit to that,accept it and I don't think about it anymore
Awful thing to have in your head though and its great when you do finally settle on a decision either way
Sorry I can't advise if another is right for you,think that's completely your decision.It does help to write down all the pro's and con's,helps clear your head
Good luck xx
Little Monkeys
New Member!
Female 

25-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Thank you, that is really helpful. I now no one can make the decision for me, but it's good to know that this long drawn out thought process is not just me thinking too much!

I'm glad you came to a decision that was right for you. My gut tells me that it's probably the same decision I will come to, but I wanted to see if !y worries suggest that maybe it wouldn't be the right thing to do.

Thanks again
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2015, 06:20 PM
I thought about getting another dog to be a playmate to my Nigredo, because he loves other dogs and my other dog is 11 and won't play with him. But the costs might hit me harder than I'd like, and I might end up with two big males who constantly try to bully my old Jade into playing. She's already scared of Nigredo to some degree and having another big male dog around might cause her to shut down. Decided against it. I MIGHT get another once she passes on, but probably not. Nigredo really is okay without another and I'm okay without the expense.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Hello, don't think we've met on the foum before, I'm PONlady! Nice to meet you!

You are having a similar tussle as I am at the moment; my PON Esau is 10. He had a Westie playmate until 2010, and always seemed happy being an only dog, as he had several doggie friends. Now he is getting on, most of those doggie friends are gone, he seems a little bit lethargic and 'fed up' with life . . I'm considering a pup. Also, similarly to you, I don't want to face coming home from the vets one day, with No Dog there.

I think what you are going through is entirely natural and shows you are really taking the time and effort to think it all through, to be sure you are making the right decision.

Your reasons seem sound to me - you are considering your dogs, but you want this dog because YOU want it, which is important.

I think you are right to go for a pup, too; it will more easily accept the situation/hierarchy with Max and Ben than an older dog, and they'd probably tolerate a pup more readily, though don't expect instant love - it can take several weeks, you have to be vigilant and have the patience of Job! Make sure you can give separate time to the puppy as well as your other dogs, as well as supervising all mixed play-times. Ensure both Max and Ben can get away from the pup if they want, and that the pup also has a safe area where Max and Ben can't get to it. Feed the pup away from the other dogs, and never before them. Stick to the same rules they must live by - if they don't go on the sofa, don't let the pup up either, not even at the cute tiny stage! Buy the pup his own toys and bed, but you can swap blankets about, it will help their scents to intermingle.

If you are prepared to go in for the socializing, puppy classes, socializing, house-training, socializing, puppy meal-times, socializing, extra grooming, extra game-time, extra training time - oh, and did I mention socializing? . I think you'll be fine.

I'm assuming you won't need to leave the pup for long periods during the day?

BTW, I'm off to see a litter of pups on Sunday, wish me luck!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Good luck PONlady Let us know how you get on
Little Monkeys
New Member!
Female 

26-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies.

I work from home and have a part time job for about 12 hours a week so am home mostly.

Your answers have made me realise that I'm not yet ready to make a decision and maybe I need to give my dogs more before I introduce another one. Not that they have a bad life, but I have the time to make it better for them!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2015, 08:13 PM
That's that settled then,good for you
Love to see a pic of these two beautiful dogs of yours
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2015, 11:19 PM
IMO the big question is: "Do Ben and Max like puppies?"

If they do and you have the time and money for puppy shinannigans, I'd say go ahead. I have three Labs, ages 10, 5, and 1. They get along great. The big problem with having three is that I only have two hands, and I can't pet and scratch all of them at the same time in the morning greet-fest.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Little Monkeys View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies.

I work from home and have a part time job for about 12 hours a week so am home mostly.

Your answers have made me realise that I'm not yet ready to make a decision and maybe I need to give my dogs more before I introduce another one. Not that they have a bad life, but I have the time to make it better for them!
Glad you made your decision!
Hopefully you'll feel more settled now, and don't torture yourself too much about how one of your dogs will cope when the other goes . . You might be pleasantly surprised at how well they cope, and if not, that might be the time to have another one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >