Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Help with this please....

Ok, I have a Swann security system to keep an eye on my kennel/garden etc. and use this item: http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=497 Have bought a new computer that has Windows 7 64 bit, have found out that this item doesn't run on a 64 bit computer only 32 bit.

Any suggestions what I can do? Swann say they have no immediate plans for drivers for my operating system, any suggestions?
xxizmexx
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
Ok, I have a Swann security system to keep an eye on my kennel/garden etc. and use this item: http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=497 Have bought a new computer that has Windows 7 64 bit, have found out that this item doesn't run on a 64 bit computer only 32 bit.

Any suggestions what I can do? Swann say they have no immediate plans for drivers for my operating system, any suggestions?
Where is your old pc? Do you still have it?

Sounds odd but you can use it to control your cameras remotely via something like logmein maybe?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Well, there seems to be a capability to run 32 bit applications on 64 bit Windows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64 There do seem to be some exclusions though...

Your best bet would probably be to get hold of a cheap 32 bit system just for running your security setup.

This Swann outfit need to rethink their strategy as 64 bit systems are becoming a lot more common...
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by xxizmexx View Post
Where is your old pc? Do you still have it?

Sounds odd but you can use it to control your cameras remotely via something like logmein maybe?
Computer died, hence the new one, plus I wouldn't have the room to have two pcs running in the room I want it in.
xxizmexx
New Member!
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
Computer died, hence the new one, plus I wouldn't have the room to have two pcs running in the room I want it in.
See the idea of running your security remotely is so you can have pc number 2 separate completely, even stick it in the garage if you wanted to.

There is a lot of difference between the 32 and 64 so if to be frank about it, if they didn't release the 2 together then you be lucky to get the 64 version at all.

If the new system you have is win 7 then I suggest just plugging straight into it and letting Microsoft do the searching, if they haven’t got one then a second pc or even maybe the hdd out of your old pc so you can duel boot, is the only option?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Even though you windows are 64 bit you'll still have a program folder for 32 bit programs.

Also if you go into C: drive you'll see two program folders 1 for 32bit and 1 for 64bit (x86) you can install 32bit programs into the 64 bit system. Windows will pick what program folder it's to go in when you install the application.

If you get problems running the 32bit program right click the .exe in the program folder and goto properties and then choose compatability choose what you want to run it as and it should run on your system.
xxizmexx
New Member!
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Even though you windows are 64 bit you'll still have a program folder for 32 bit programs.

Also if you go into C: drive you'll see two program folders 1 for 32bit and 1 for 64bit (x86) you can install 32bit programs into the 64 bit system. Windows will pick what program folder it's to go in when you install the application.

If you get problems running the 32bit program right click the .exe in the program folder and goto properties and then choose compatability choose what you want to run it as and it should run on your system.
True for the program (exe application) but this will not work for the driver beyond initial installation.