Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PinkEars
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2010, 09:50 AM

My dog sucks on soft toys ear?

Hi All

I'm new to this forum! I posted this on another forum but didn't get any replies, thought maybe you could help instead?

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this behaviour.Lola is 2 years old and has never done this before with any other soft toy she has had. A friend of ours bought round this quite large soft toy about 3 months ago and she has taken a real liking for it. Instead of ripping the stuffing and eyes/ears off it within minutes, she sleeps with him and more weirdly she sucks on his ear. When she is doing it she has her paws either side of him and kind of kneads the cushion whilst sucking his ear. I just thought it was strange that she has never treated any of her other soft toys like that, he is fully intact she just carries him around sometimes and then does this sucking thing. I have tried to take photos but she does move alot so these photos are from 3 different occasions. What do you think the reason is? It seems to comfort her as only does it when settling down for sleep. Oh just realised you can't just simply attach a photo on this site...or am i missing something?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Oh bless. I had a GSD who used to occasionally suck my fingers. I`d wake up to this peculiar sensation and find the great lump snoozing away sucking happily.
mara64
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2010, 10:51 AM
i have 2 utonagan dogs, litter sisters. one of them constantly sucks on the others ears when they settle down for a sleep. no idea why.....but since the one who sucks the ears has floppy ears, we just think she is annoyed her sisters ears are up and she is jealous so she is trying to break her sisters too
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Hmm.....Siren has Sucky bones -they are like a dummy to her - but it is very cute - so I let her have them.
PinkEars
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your replies its nice to know that its not just Lola who is a little odd! The GSD sucking on your finger made me laugh. Someone told me its was a weaning thing, leaving there mother too young but i thought that would be weird if its taken 2 years for her to revert to that behaviour!
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Hmm.....Siren has Sucky bones -they are like a dummy to her - but it is very cute - so I let her have them.
OMG she looks like she is in heaven! Adorable.