View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I would like to know if Adam uses any other methods of training or whether the ecollar is his first and only method used?

If he does use other methods, does he get more satisfaction from training a dog in a positive manner or it makes no difference how they are trained as long as the percieved outcome has been acheived?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I would like to know if Adam uses any other methods of training or whether the ecollar is his first and only method used?

If he does use other methods, does he get more satisfaction from training a dog in a positive manner or it makes no difference how they are trained as long as the percieved outcome has been acheived?
I believe this question (among others) has been put many many times. No straight answer has ever been recieved yet - but I await one with interest.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Whilst I find the whole idea of subjecting any animal to electric shock absolutely abhorrent, I am completely flabbergasted that a supposed professional dog trainer would advocate anyone using an e-collar on a dog that they hadn't even seen. That is probably one of the most irresponsible & stupid bits of advice I've ever come across & is totally unprofessional. If any vet thought for one minute that a dog trainer or behaviourist tried to treat a dog (or any other animal) without even seeing it, I would hope to god that they would never refer to that trainer again. That sort of behaviour is unethical in the extreme & is one of the reasons I would like to see the dog training & behaviour industry regulated in some way.

I've struggled with the fact that forums such as these exist at all because of those exact same reasons ~ people are giving advice on potentially serious issues, ones where people can be in danger & where a dog's life may be at risk, but without even seeing the dog or the owner. But at least on this forum, most people seem very sensible, or know each other well & on the whole I think the advice given is sensible & non-harmful.

But to then find out that a member is advocating the use of punishment & electric shocks on a dog that he's never seen, owned by a person he's never met, is absolutely dreadful. It's things like that that put the whole industry to shame!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I've struggled with the fact that forums such as these exist at all because of those exact same reasons ~ people are giving advice on potentially serious issues, ones where people can be in danger & where a dog's life may be at risk, but without even seeing the dog or the owner. But at least on this forum, most people seem very sensible, or know each other well & on the whole I think the advice given is sensible & non-harmful.

But to then find out that a member is advocating the use of punishment & electric shocks on a dog that he's never seen, owned by a person he's never met, is absolutely dreadful. It's things like that that put the whole industry to shame!
I think you`ll find that for every person advocating cruel and dangerous methods like this there are a raft of opposing voices. This is good. Because outside forums, the same opinions exist, and it may be that those opposing voices are not heard.
I have my own opinions on the truth behind `Adam` and his supposed dog training, which I won`t bore you with, particularly as I have been criticised for it in the past. There are people posing as dog trainers who use these methods and ignorant people who fall for their lies.
So maybe it is a good idea for this debate (repetitive though it is) to continue.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post

I would like to know where the dog trainer ends (if indeed it began at all ) and e collar the salesman begins .
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Lionhound
I use loads of different methods (clicker, prey drive training ect) I get as much satisfacion from one as another.

Re my offer to MichealM
My offer was for her to pm, we could then discuss the dog and procede from there. How is this different than someone telling a person how to train the look at that game in thier dog reactive dog? Except of course the method is one most on here dislike.

WW
I can't comment on other peoples training methods. My own clients seem satisfied.
Re basic training, if the basics are reliable they can be used to deal with other stuff (aggression ect) also most people need/lack reliable basics. There is an argument that if you only want to use the colalr to train the dog off sheep the dog will learn faster if he already has some basic training with the collar.

Rune
And if the dog didn't recall and there was a big fight and it was injured or injured the other dog and was then pts as a result? How is that better. Most dogs won't attack a retreating dog anyway so a bite is less likely.

Adam
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Lionhound
I use loads of different methods (clicker, prey drive training ect) I get as much satisfacion from one as another.
Adam

How would you then decide on which method would be most suitable.....breed of dog, owners abilities, time allocated. I think you would go straight for 'old trusty' rather than attempting methods that actually require skill and patience.

What I read was Michael stating that they had had one episode that made them feel dishearted with the great progress made previously with an older dog with an unknown history, who suffers from many medical conditions one of which needs painkillers. Yet you feel that using an ecollar would be a good idea. No assessment, straight in with buy an ecollar and I will pm you with advice.

You are a scary man and one who is believing their own PR. It takes no skill in doing what you do and I wouldn't allow you in the same field as my boy never mind strap a collar round his neck or genitals (whatever is floating your boat mate) and shock him into submission.

I truly hope that Claire is right and you are a troll, that you are infact a 15 year old deliquent who posts here inbetween playing with his XBox and eating Watsits!!!!!!!!!!!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

12-07-2010, 03:59 PM
For some stuff I will use an e collar as preference (predatory behaviour for example) but with every case I use a mixture of techniques. So I might mix in e collar and prey drive training (tug toy reward ect).

Adam
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Adam, I always say to someone to get help from a live person - and the only training I recomend is based on the dogs always being kept at a distance before it reacts and managing situations in the real world until they get to see someone

Having someone giving a dog a treat a long way away from whatever its trigger is is miles appart from suggesting someone uses a potentialy dangerous methods

If the average dog owner cannot even recognise fear or stress in a dog then how are they going to see the collar is at the lowest level
If they dont understand distraction levels how are they going to behavie if the dog in a more distracting environment ignores the shock?? by cranking it up higher and higher

Fair enough if you think my suggestions to people to buy a book and try some of the games in it are wrong
I am always rethinking what is acceptable to say on a public forum

But a e - collar is not something that everyone should just go out and buy, I am not happy with anyone using one but people with no experiemce of them should get help before thinking of it
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Whilst I find the whole idea of subjecting any animal to electric shock absolutely abhorrent, I am completely flabbergasted that a supposed professional dog trainer would advocate anyone using an e-collar on a dog that they hadn't even seen. That is probably one of the most irresponsible & stupid bits of advice I've ever come across & is totally unprofessional. ....
Oh Wilbar, you've not seen it all yet, sadly.
On another forum, I came across a guy who gives lessons via email on shock collars. He is known as someone who does this, it's part of his training package. He's in Australia not here, but the one thing that struck me about him was that in the case I saw he advised about, although the dogs were aggressive, at no time did he ever suggest a veterinary check up.

Wys
x
Page 47 of 77 « First < 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 57 > Last »