register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: National service reintroduction ?
in favour 26 68.42%
not infavour 8 21.05%
undecided 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Maybe we could start to recognise a lot earlier in their lives that they need a little (ok a lot) more motivation to get out of their comfort zone and give them something to aspire to.
I would be behind that 100% but being a natural sceptic I cant see it happening and if anything it is going to get worse. No-one seems to take ownership of the problems, it is always blame everyone else.
So I am for NS because it might not be perfect but it would be doing something
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2008, 08:53 AM
As I said earlier, I fail to see why so many recommend it when clearly it failed before as the first generation of the targeted group must have had parents who did National service. Perhaps the fault lies more with our nanny state and the benefits culture than with the youth of today.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Interesting debate. Voting no especially if the OP meant national service as it was. I dont think any sort of NS can be descriminatory, it would have to be for all men and women. It could legally only start at 18 and as many have said thats probably to late and do we really want to arm the yob element?!

One further thing for any of these programmes - who's going to pay for them
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2008, 11:57 AM
National service stopped in 1961, that's two generations ago.

Regarding not putting NS lads in the front line hot spots abroad, I'm confident that very few of them would wish to remain at home while their buddies were in action.
Prince Harry was desperate to go to Afghanistan and he's royalty, I admire a spirit like that.

If you're in the armed forces you don't want to be seen as toy soldiers, that's what would happen if we had a two tier system where conscripts would be stay-at-homes and the regulars would be doing ther duty.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2008, 04:10 PM
The difference is those that are currently in the armed forces are there from choice, they're not conscripts. Conscripts may not be happy to be in the services at all, let alone on the front line.
My OH spent 22 years in the army and he thinks it's an appalling idea to bring back national service.
I know it ended in 61 but the argument was put forward that the kids of today were brought up by parents who were feckless etc. my point was that parents of todays youngsters were not so far removed from the national service generation. I was a child in 61 my OH was born in 61 our children range in age from 19-27 so anyone who did national service would be the grandparents of the current crop of yobs/ benefit scroungers. Yet their influence seems to be non existent.
Darkparagon
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2008, 11:46 PM
I can not really say, that I'm in favour of it. Sure some people find it is the best thing which has happened to them, but I just do not feel a need for it.
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9