Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Far too often ex racers are given away 'free to good homes' - where no neutering or home checks are done or under other circumstances where irresponsible re-homing leads to eventual neglect or abandonment
http://www.greytexploitations.com/gr...homing-scandal

Any reputable re-homing scheme would include a clause which states the dog must be returned to the re-homing centre if the new owners no longer want the dog.
Yes I know, and these are exactly the sort of people that need to be got rid of which I wholeheartedly would love to see. The point I am trying to make is that by slating greyhound racing as a whole and grouping everyone involved in it together doesn't help at all.

All reputable re homing schemes of which there are many do include the clause that the dog must be returned if the new owners no longer want the dog.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Of course - that all important 'welfare' promotional tool - the track vet.

You still haven't answered how long the vet has to inspect each dog 'fit to race' prior to racing - 'free from injury' after racing and to treat any injured dogs.
How can you call the track vet who incidentally is qualified the same as any other vet and have their own practices outside of racing 'that all important 'welfare' promotional tool' and then ask me about what they do?
Would you rather there wasn't a vet in attendance?
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
You are right that the public are not being forced to give these dogs a home. They are doing it because they have a greater charitable aspect than the owners and industry that discard these dogs.
Really? You do suprise me. The many owners I've spoken to and dealt with that have re homed a greyhound have done so because they love the breed and know what great pets they make.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:40 AM
*SJ*

According to Simon Gower 'a vet should be able to examine 80+ dogs within a 30 - 40 minute period'
Regardless - under the proposed welfare regulations a vet won't even have that if the vet is to watch every race, treat any injured dogs or destroy any injured dogs.

Why won't the dogs in your care be represented in the RGT figures - is it still impossible for the industry's own re-homing scheme to work with the GBGB welfare department or will that make it easier to indentify the numbers of 'unaccountable' dogs?

Having said that - RGT Director, Ivor Stocker, recently stated “There was certainly instances in the last two or three years were dogs have been counted on more than one occasion because the trainer put in a form and we (RGT) put in a form.” ?????

You haven't provided any factual information - only your opinion. If you cannot stand by and watch an animal being cruelly treated - I cannot comprehend how you can watch greyhounds raced on an oval track - in a pack of 6 - knowing there is a high risk of injury.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:50 AM
*SJ*

According to Simon Gower 'a vet should be able to examine 80+ dogs within a 30 - 40 minute period'
Regardless - under the proposed welfare regulations a vet won't even have that if the vet is to watch every race, treat any injured dogs or destroy any injured dogs.
Simon Gower is a qualified vet.

Depending on the type of examination being carried out this is feasable. As already said the dog gets checked more than once during a race meet.

The vet does watch the race, and treat any dogs as necessary currently.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
How can you call the track vet who incidentally is qualified the same as any other vet and have their own practices outside of racing 'that all important 'welfare' promotional tool' and then ask me about what they do?
Would you rather there wasn't a vet in attendance?
I didn't ask you what the vet did - I asked how long he was allocated to do his job. Which I have just answered for you.

Clearly his services are of more benefit to the industry in promoting 'high standards of welfare', than to the dogs themselves - given the time he has to examine them.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:54 AM
*SJ*

Why won't the dogs in your care be represented in the RGT figures - is it still impossible for the industry's own re-homing scheme to work with the GBGB welfare department or will that make it easier to indentify the numbers of 'unaccountable' dogs?
Can't believe I'm answering this. My dogs are not represented in the RGT's figures because the RGT have nothing to do with them and as such are of no concern to them.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
Really? You do suprise me. The many owners I've spoken to and dealt with that have re homed a greyhound have done so because they love the breed and know what great pets they make.
Bizarrely enough - I could give you a list of people who are fostering 5-6-7 ex racers - myself included.

Not through choice but through the inability to find owners who 'love the breed'.

If the people you speak to and deal with 'love the breed and know what great pets they make' perhaps you could ask them if they would care to offer a loving home to one the 100's we have waiting to be re-homed up in the North.

Yeah?
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 01:04 AM
*SJ*

You haven't provided any factual information - only your opinion. If you cannot stand by and watch an animal being cruelly treated - I cannot comprehend how you can watch greyhounds raced on an oval track - in a pack of 6 - knowing there is a high risk of injury.
I disagree, I have given you factual information if you take the time to look back through you will see this is the case.

At the current time Greyhound Racing is legal and I don't consider it to be cruel.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Bizarrely enough - I could give you a list of people who are fostering 5-6-7 ex racers - myself included.

Not through choice but through the inability to find owners who 'love the breed'.

If the people you speak to and deal with 'love the breed and know what great pets they make' perhaps you could ask them if they would care to offer a loving home to one the 100's we have waiting to be re-homed up in the North.

Yeah?
You beggar belief, you are now having a pop at the very people who are giving these dogs homes!

You made a choice when you took your dogs in.

We get the dogs homes by getting out and about, advertising, group walks and generally promoting the breed in any way we can think of. If people don't know about them then they won't get adopted. One things for sure talking about it on a forum, going round in circles doesn't help.
Page 52 of 157 « First < 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 62 102 152 > Last »