View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I`ve done the kids and trained them all to play quietly LOL. It`s the dog whose baffling me at the mo. If she sleeps in my room (last week whilst ill) she just stayed curled up quietly........not an option for OH though.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry been busy and in work...
Training a quiet command can be fairly straightforward...
when she is lying quietly say 'quiet' and give her a treat calmly...
Example...when she is dozing and you are watching the tv, go give her a stroke so she stirs a little, say 'quiet and then put a treat practically in her mouth.
She will inevitably stir but try to keep her settled and stroke her, if she stays calm then, tel her good girl and perhaps repeat the command and treat (depending on how you think she is going to be).
When she is in her crate and quiet but awake, walk past and pop a treat in after saying 'quiet' then tell her good girl again.
It takes time but in the end they do get it. I had a terrible yapper at one point and this approach worked wonders.
One mehtod of training a quiet is tot teach the dog to speak first, but I find the dog can get quite confused quite easily with this. What you are wanting form your 'quiet' command, isn't just stopping her barking or yapping, it's stopping her from getting up...it's more of a calm that you want, a settle, but a quiet command will do it. She needs to have a very firm idea of what you expect of her first though.

I would suggest not trying to hard or pushing too fast with the command, don't set up situations or try to 'test' her too soon, just reinforce the commmand several times a day during 'natural ' situations...she's a collie cross she'll pick up the idea fast....
After a few days, don't treinforce it with a treat, just stroke her gently...you don't want her looking for a reward so tyry not to let her become too reliant on it...

Perhaps the best time to first properly command her...is when she goes in her crate at some point (maybe in a couple of weeks after lots of teaching) tell her 'quiet' and see what she does.

Covering her crate could also help but if she isn't used to that she may not like it...one of mine hated it if you covered his crate (he was a nosey so and so) but one absolutely loved it...
Hope this helps...
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks Ramble. The crate is partially covered at the moment to cut down on draughts but she has 2 open ends to peep out of. She goes in quietly when I say in and settles in there naturally at other times during the day. I will try the "quiet" technique as it could come in handy for other occasions as well.Thanks for your help.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Thanks Ramble. The crate is partially covered at the moment to cut down on draughts but she has 2 open ends to peep out of. She goes in quietly when I say in and settles in there naturally at other times during the day. I will try the "quiet" technique as it could come in handy for other occasions as well.Thanks for your help.
No probs... Just hope it works.
It will take time as nonce she understands you will have to build up her extra time in her crate in the mornings slowly...say 10 mins at a time...
I think it should work, if you take things nice and slow teaching the command and then starting to use it! :smt002 Good luck....there's nothing worse than constant crack of dawns (she sighs in a knowing way..... )
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2