Archer

i agree with you 110%.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Agree 100%

Has anyone thought too Ring a Rescue that has this policy to ask why ???? Might not be so stupid once you know!!

If the animal they are rehoming is speyed or neutered what sensible reason could there be??? That I am irresponsible for having an unneutered male??? Don't think so!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
If the animal they are rehoming is speyed or neutered what sensible reason could there be??? That I am irresponsible for having an unneutered male??? Don't think so!
I dont know the Reason thats why I said might be worth giving them a call

But Im sure there is a good reason maybe they have a lot of Dogs returned when theres unneutered Dogs in the Home I really dont know??
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:56 PM
were im from the local dog pound take in dogs from all across co down,they dont even vaccinate them against parvo,let alone neuter them,then when the dogs are by there 7 day pick up from being reunited with there lost homes there put up for sale,to anyone who walks in,my friend found a pup,a lurcher in newcastle co down and decided to go the legal route she called the pound and they said if after 7 days the wee dog wasnt claimed she could take him,which she did along with a £300 vet bill for he contracted parvo while he was there,if i ran that rescue/pound i would insist on vaccination then isolation befre going for re-homing,let alone spaying/castration.the homes are not even vetted.its a total disgrace the dogs are took off the street then handed back for a suitable price no matter what conditon there in
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Before you bitch about it, why don't you spend some time volunteering for rescue. You;ll change your tune, I guarantee it.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Before you bitch about it, why don't you spend some time volunteering for rescue. You;ll change your tune, I guarantee it.
im not bitching about it im telling you the way it is. its a pound and before you think you now wat im talking about,
i worked with rescue dogs for 5 years,i know how things work were we are,i worked in birmingham were things was alot diffrent there,why dont you come over here, and have a look for yourself,or i will give you my friends number you can check forself,how things work here,i took a boxer from the pound 9years ago and what a state she was in she was picked up as a skinny stray the month before,i took her and what a lovely girl she was,a lovely brindle with only 1 problem she,d got kennel cough real bad,she was coughing up blood in the car on the way home from the pound,she spent 3 days in vet hospital,and after she came home i started to build her up,after 1 mth the vet thought her strong enough for vaccination,only after vaccination she had a re-lapse,and when i took her back to vet i thought she wasnt coming home,

dont sit there and tell me to not bitch and to work for rescue i have,im telling you how it is here and that they dont vaccinate let alone nueter/spay there dogs,and im talking bout the pound/rescue center,
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
im telling you how it is here and that they dont vaccinate let alone nueter/spay there dogs,and im talking bout the pound/rescue center,
Neither of my rescue girls were spayed when I took them on, there wasn't even a rehoming contract from the rescue themselves, nothing. When I took them on I had entire dogs in the house, a Bulldog & Lurcher, neither rescue did home checks, never a follow up call, nothing, nata...I decided to get both my girls spayed not too long after I had them as theres really not much point in keeping a rescue dog intact.
I still have entire dogs and entire girls, I've never once had an accidental mating, it's something that I would never allow to happen.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 01:16 AM
you and me also,i know rescues do a lot of good work on the whole but they dont all.have contracts and some(our local pound) let them go to just anyone,poppy didnt die that day and lived many a year,shes at the bridge now though,my wonderfull girl poppy.xxxxx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Zoeybeau, I wasn't directing that at you, but rather those complaining about rescues. The local shelter is not a rescue, its a municiple government entity that wants nothing to do with the welfare of animals and everything to do with the safety and welfare of the public. A shelter will adopt to anyone because their goal isn't the welfare of the dogs. its keeping the dogs and their mess off the streets.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 01:56 AM
In my country, a proper rescue would never adopt out an ill, entire, or unvaccinated animal, under any circumstances. The rest of the rules (like having a fenced yard, or other entire animals in the house) vary from group to group, but NO real animal welfare organization would adopt out an un castrated animal.

That said, the shelters and pounds aren't counted among animal welfare groupes because in the U.S. it is a law enforecement entity and not there for the welfare of the animal at all. The law in the country is that all Shelters have some provision for the spaying and neutering of adopted pets, but they don't have to do it themselves, and in many places it isn't enforces. It is the rare shelter indeed that provides any kind of medical care to its dogs.
My local shelter was practically a death sentence for any puppy brought to it. The place was writhing in parvo and distemper. The vet that I worked for was the contracted vet for the shelter. Every animal adopted from the shelter had to come to us first for rabies vaccine and desexing. We saw lots and lots and lots of parvo come out of that shelter. I'm rambling, but my point it, a shelters mission is not the welfare of the animals like a rescues mission should be.. They are given food, water and housing and thats about it. They get 3 days here, thats it. The shelter exists for the same reason city car impound lots exists, just to hold things, not for the welfare of the dog.

A proper rescue group is something entirely different. In my mind all proper rescue groups should have one thing in common, the best interest and welfare of the animal comes first. That means spaying and neutering, vaccinating and health checking, contracts and homechecks also as far as I'm concerned. Any rescue not doing those things is not doing the animals any favors.

To make a long post even longer.
What it sounds like has happened here, is someone got turned down for a pet from a rescue and got their feelings hurt over it. So they came here to complain about it. None of the involved parties seem interested in the explanations of these policies that truly have the animals, not the potential owners, best interests at heart. If you really wanted to know why, you would call the rescue and talk to someone about it.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >