View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 09:26 PM
I own two rescue dogs, both of which I'm sorry to say don't even neuter or spay dogs, no policy in place stating that the new owners should get them spayed or neutered either! Both my dogs have since been spayed paid for by myself, I don't really see the point or any reasoning why a rescue dog should be kept entire! However what does wind me up, is the fact the one rescue I got Mollie from has people walking round there everyday purposely looking for bitches and dogs to take litters from, last time I went there I spoke to a woman who was looking for an un-neutered male Staffordshire Bull Terrier to put to the poor girl she had at home! I've complained numerous times to the rescue all they keep saying is it boils down to money and that they really can't afford to get the dogs spayed or neutered before placing them, but it wouldn't hurt to have a contract written out would it and to add that within the contracts, that the dogs should be spayed or neutered within X amount of weeks, months..Neither rescue does home checks either, not even a follow up call to ask how the dogs are doing!
Yet our local cat rescue (not the CPL) hand out spay and neuter vouchers at the time cats get placed!
greysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2007, 10:54 PM
The reason there are so many dogs in rescue is because there are so many "accidental" matings. Paperwork doesn't make puppies.
Anything that stops more unwanted pups in this world is a good thing.
People on here might be responsible, but many people aren't and it is the overworked rescues that have to pick up the pieces.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 12:51 AM
excellent post greysmum, I completely agree. I have worked in rescue for a long time. If I had a nickle for every puppy born after the owners thought they could "prevent" their two un-neutered dogs from mating, I would be a wealthy woman. Very few people are actually responsible and dog saavy enough to keep intact animals without having accidental matings. It is the overworked and much maligned rescue group that must come after and clean up the mess these people are making with their entire dogs.

You spend months walking shelters, deciding which dogs will get a chance at adoption, and which will get the needle, because there simply aren't enough homes for them all, and then tell us from your high horse how wrong it is for a rescue group to have this policy.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by greysmum View Post
The reason there are so many dogs in rescue is because there are so many "accidental" matings. Paperwork doesn't make puppies.
Anything that stops more unwanted pups in this world is a good thing.
People on here might be responsible, but many people aren't and it is the overworked rescues that have to pick up the pieces.
I appreciate what you are saying but I have kept,as have thousands of other people,males and females together WITHOUT any accidental matings and just because someone chooses to not castrate/spey for whatever reason does not mean they want to breed.I keep my males entire because they are shown and a castrated male has no chance in the showring.So does that mean I couldn'toffer a hometo a needy dog?
I could understand if they said 'will not rehome an entire animal into a home with another entire animal of the opposite sex' however if they just made sure all their animals were castrated then it wouldn't matter anyway.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 10:07 AM
I know for sure the RSPCA have this policy, as when I went to rehome another bitch a few years ago, they said they wouldn't let me have one because Cassie wasn't speyed, and obviously, they wouldn't let me have a dog either, so I came home very despondent!!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I know for sure the RSPCA have this policy, as when I went to rehome another bitch a few years ago, they said they wouldn't let me have one because Cassie wasn't speyed, and obviously, they wouldn't let me have a dog either, so I came home very despondent!!
To me this is totally stupid....another good responsoble home a dog missed out on.Lets face it if someone wanted a dog for the wrong reason its easy to lie!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 01:14 PM
And where is someone who wants a dog going to go if they can't get a rescue? They'll get a puppy and so the cycle goes on, supply and demand.
Becky
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't agree with that rule at all. I think each case should be looked at individually. Many rescues also won't rehome to people who work full-time and in many cases this is probably a good rule, but there are also many homes out there where people do work full-time and who would be prepared to go the extra mile to ensure their dogs are well exercised, stimulated and happy.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
And where is someone who wants a dog going to go if they can't get a rescue? They'll get a puppy and so the cycle goes on, supply and demand.
Becky

Good point!!!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 07:20 PM
i think this rule is stupid.you should be assesed on individual circumstance and home visits should take into account the resident dogs and their behaviour/ training, then a decision made, not a blanket rule that is preventing homing dogs to responsible people.

when i was looking for another dog this put me off straight away and wouldn't attempt to contact them because of this stupid rule.
at the time H was entire, and no way would he attempt to be randy even when he's met a bitch on heat, he's just not that way inclined, but would they have listened?? probably not.

so i found a really friendly rescue without daft rules and Bonnie arrived.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >