Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Annoyed

Was jus looking at a rescue site and saw something that really annoyed me...that they do not rehome into a household where any other dogs are unspeyed/un-neutered.Now I appreciate the rescue insisting that their dog is neutered/speyed but just because someone choses to not neuter/spey all their dogs does not make them a bad owner.I own 3 entire males...none of which have ever been allowed to sire a litter
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 06:26 PM
I really do wonder about some of these rescue's.
Most of their dogs/bitches are neutered anyway so i wonder what the reasoning is behind this.
I own an castrated dog,(rescue) entire dog and bitch and have done so before,we have never had an accidental mating and never intend too either.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I do wonder whether the real reason for the numbers of animals in rescue centres is because of rehoming policies. Whilst I appreciate they have to take care of the animals they rescue they seem to decline some very suitable homes.
Becky
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree this is a silly rule ,but i have to say that i always have my dogs spayed ,i just prefer it and in males i think i would be the same as i always worry about the possibility of cancer ,but i agree it should be up to the indevidual,another annoying rule is that some rehoming centres wont rehome to households who use the pdsa ,that being the case i should think that would disquiailifiy half of the uk !!! (please excuse my spelling my heads not working today )
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

17-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I too think this is a silly rule. Makes you wonder if this is partly why some rescues are so full and can't get homes for their dogs. Surely the dogs would be better off in a good home even with unspayed / unnuetered companions, than having to remain in rescue . No wonder you were annoyed Archer when you read this.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I agree its very hard to get a rescue dogs these days, which i think they need rules but not to many rules
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 07:16 PM
rescue centres do seem to have silly rules
b4 getting seren we considered a SBT rescue,i looked on loads of website,all there dogs wouldnt be suitable for kids under 12
there was even a cross pup,4month old,and as he was 'boisterous' he wouldnt be suited to kids under 12
he was 4months for god sake
sometimes i wonder why there are so many dogs in rescue,the answer is,rules and paperwork
spot
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Was jus looking at a rescue site and saw something that really annoyed me...that they do not rehome into a household where any other dogs are unspeyed/un-neutered.Now I appreciate the rescue insisting that their dog is neutered/speyed but just because someone choses to not neuter/spey all their dogs does not make them a bad owner.I own 3 entire males...none of which have ever been allowed to sire a litter
Did you ask the rescue why they have this policy? Maybe they could explain it better than just putting it on a forum?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
rescue centres do seem to have silly rules
b4 getting seren we considered a SBT rescue,i looked on loads of website,all there dogs wouldnt be suitable for kids under 12
there was even a cross pup,4month old,and as he was 'boisterous' he wouldnt be suited to kids under 12
he was 4months for god sake
sometimes i wonder why there are so many dogs in rescue,the answer is,rules and paperwork
Rescues have to be extremely careful when rehoming dogs, they dont always have a full history and its better err on the side of caution. Maybe if you had actually spoken to the rescues involved you might of been given the reasons.

I can assure you that the dogs in rescue are not there because of rules and paperwork and frankly as someone involved in helping out rescues I find that rather insulting.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry I don't agree. I've heard time and again of people who you would think tick the vast majority of the boxes that are declined for a rescue. I feel that in some cases the rescue's rules do get in the way of rehoming.
I do understand that not all dogs will have a history and rescues have to be careful but sometimes I think they go too far.
Becky
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »