View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
clivwill
New Member!
Male 

10-04-2015, 03:27 AM

How many times per day should you feed a golden retreiver?

I have a mixed dog that is half rottweiler and half golden retreiver. How many times per day should i feed him? He is more on the retriever side.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2015, 04:31 AM
Usually it's based on weight not breed. Each of my pups are close to 60lbs. They get a cup of kibble each twice a day plus another cup of wet foods and additives combined. So 2 cups of food per feeding twice a day. And both are a healthy weight. You have to figure in activity level too of course.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2015, 05:16 AM
Depends on the dogs ideal weight, his activity level, and other factors. My Jade is very OLD and inactive. At 55 lbs, she gets JUST under 3 cups per day, fed at night in one meal. My big dude, at 92 lbs, gets 4 1/2 - 5 cups per day, given as a filled bowl every 24 hours in the mornings (measured free feeding). It works for them, Jade is a nearly perfect weight, and Nigredo, an early neuter and prone to extreme weight gain is JUST a tad overweight according to my vet. Both dogs move well and are in good health with good coats, teeth, etc.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2015, 05:55 AM
This depends on how old he is. What size cup you use. Easier to weigh food so that you know how much he is getting and of course what food. Then is he neutered and how much exercise does he have? Do you know which was the mum and which was the dad?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2015, 08:39 AM
How many times a day you feed a dog has nothing to do with how big it is or how heavy it is.

you should feed your dog depending on the brand of food( unless raw fed) on the feeding guidelines for that particular food and the weight of your dog.

How many times you feed is then up to you and the habit of your dog,

Remember to use the weight chart guidelines to guide you on the amount of food you feed then you can split that daily food into as many meals as you like,... most people will feed twice a day, splitting the food into two smaller meals, but you have to be guided by the dog in question.

It is easier on the dogs digestive system to feed smaller meals more often that one large meal, but as I said, then dog will dictate how he likes to be fed.

For instance, this is just a guide .......

WEIGHT/KGS ......... GRMS /DAY
20 - 25.......... 263 - 309

If you dog weighted between the above, you would feed between the grms set out, but don't forget that is only a guide, you dog my need a little more or a little less deepening on his metabolism ...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by clivwill View Post
I have a mixed dog that is half rottweiler and half golden retreiver. How many times per day should i feed him? He is more on the retriever side.
Hello Clive how old is your dog.
Puppies need feeding little and often four meals a day to begin with .

I feed adult dogs twice a day .
clivwill
New Member!
Male 

10-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hello Clive how old is your dog.
Puppies need feeding little and often four meals a day to begin with .

I feed adult dogs twice a day .
Ok my dog is 4 years old...i have not weighed him in a year.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2015, 02:23 PM
IMO it doesn't matter a whole lot. Given that Rotti's are fairly prone to bloat, you're probably better going twice a day rather than once, but the evidence on that isn't great.

I feed my Labs twice a day because they love to eat, and I like the social interaction.

But, apart from slightly increasing the risk of bloat, feeding once a day is fine for most large dogs.

I can't see any reason for feeding more than twice a day, unless there's some condition and the vet recommends frequent feeding.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2015, 09:19 AM
I feed my JRTx and my chi x two meals a day , a small breakfast and larger dinner at 5 pm .

I fed them according to the lables on the food and their weight but I take into account how their body shape looks eg if they look too thin or fat.
mnker17
New Member!
Male 

13-04-2015, 01:40 PM
I have an Irish setter dog and a spaniel collie x bitch probably a bit of retriever as well, I feed both just the once daily they will be five this coming July I've had them on a raw diet for the past four years and they love it they are both fit and well with boundless energy, I find as long as you exercise them you can afford to give them a little extra, after all if you over eat and do nowt it doesn't take long before the pants don't fit, so feed em, exercise em and they are yours to love for years
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >