Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Debbie5263
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2014, 08:22 PM

Fussy eater

I have 9 month Staffy, had her since a baby, she is so picky with her food, I have bought food from all over Devon for her, she seems to like Hero from Asda's, but they aren't the best at keeping their stock levels up so often they don't have it, is there anywhere, or anything else similar to Hero, she loves her Chicken and Rice when I cook it for her, but It's not good for her to eat that a lot.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2014, 12:34 AM
My Callie is easy. Put the bowl on the floor and it will be empty before you stand up. Sophie is a total pain in the butt. Over the years I've tried everything with her. Different foods, different mixtures, meat cut up into it, cheese. Even the method of giving them fifteen minutes to eat and take it away.
She can skip meals for a few days before she gives in...grudgingly. She's not as skinny as you'd expect but I stopped the 15 minute thing and just keep my fingers crossed she might eat. For a less determined dog anything with good nutritional value can be added.
Meat, chicken, minced fish, a dash of sour cream or cheese, as long as there aren't any allergies be creative.
Debbie5263
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2014, 01:52 AM
I have started to put just a few cat biscuits in with the meat, she loves loves loves cat food, but I know it is not good in the long term, she has just eaten all her meat lol, she also has Iams biscuits, so spoilt and so fussy. x
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2014, 03:02 AM
Yes cat food, I always add a sprinkling of cat food. You're right that it's not healthy but just a light sprinkling helps sometimes. Something else that helped except it's pricey...Stella and Chewy's freeze dried, crumbling some over the kibble and adding warm water makes a gravy of sorts.
Debbie5263
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2014, 03:46 AM
I will look out for that, anything that gets her to eat will help. She didn't have a good start in life, seperated from her mum far to early and fed crap cheap adult biscuits, her little tummy was like a barrel. she loves her Chicken and Rice, or Chicken and a bit of gravey, but I don't want her living off human food. Thank you for the replys, it all helps.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2014, 04:25 AM
Yes, I use a bit of cat kibble in my Nigredo's food sometimes, as well. They eat very high quality grain free kibble so it's perfectly healthy for him and give his food that bit of "boost" sometimes that helps him eat it better.

Also, human food is fine if fed raw and portioned properly (cooked chicken and rice all the time is a no go). Many people even feed cooked diets to their dogs, and when done properly... it's perfectly fine.

I'd feed my Nigredo raw food in a heartbeat if I could afford it, it's so good for most dogs.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Debbie5263 View Post
I will look out for that, anything that gets her to eat will help. She didn't have a good start in life, seperated from her mum far to early and fed crap cheap adult biscuits, her little tummy was like a barrel. she loves her Chicken and Rice, or Chicken and a bit of gravey, but I don't want her living off human food. Thank you for the replys, it all helps.
food is food; so called dog food is a fairly recent idea. rarely use any dog food unless am too ill to cut up chicken or cook vegetables; dogs and i eat much the same.

wee dog eats very little but is fine and healthy.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
food is food; so called dog food is a fairly recent idea. rarely use any dog food unless am too ill to cut up chicken or cook vegetables; dogs and i eat much the same.

wee dog eats very little but is fine and healthy.
So true mine have done well on home cooked chicken, rice and vegetables for many years. Vet has complimented us on how well they look, lovely coats and not an ounce of fat on them. No teeth problems either.
Debbie5263
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Thank you guys, I really appriciate the advice, you want to do right by your baby and I want to make sure she stays healthy and happy x
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-08-2014, 05:09 AM
Debbie
With all due respect to what you may think and even more for Staffy(a dog I presume).
A dogs body has evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to eat raw flesh and other animal biproducts. Scientific research shows this in so many instances.
Dogs digestive tracts and the way their body processes food is vastly different than humans.
It doesn't matter what the dogfood industry says. It's a commerce to them.
As humans we may be disgusted as to what is actually good for a dog's healthy diet and shocked to know what is unhealthy.
The fact remains, dogs share about 99% the same DNA as wolves, carnivores. Humans share about 99% the same DNA as gorillas, chimpanzees and bonobos, omnivores.
Vastly different species with vastly different nutritional needs.
Please for,the sake of your Staffy's health, research how a dog digests and uses food for energy.
In good faith as a fellow dog owner,
Musher.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >