Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Pups with very sensitive stomachs

Hi everyone,

Chase has always had a sensitive stomach, and he's not that fussed about kibble he really doesn't like it unless there is water on it etc else he'll turn his nose up to it, but is currently on Burns. His stools are very soft.

Storm is on JWB puppy, and he really struggles with his belly, sometimes its incredibly loose.

I have considered RAW feeding if anyone thinks this will help them, but, we are planning on going camping in the summer for several weeks, and we won't have anywhere to store RAW food, and I'm not sure if there is something that I could do while we're away that would stop stomach upsets as obviously it won't be easy to feed RAW while we're away...

Any suggestions welcome, willing to try anything
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 10:38 AM
My pup is currently being fed on nature diet, it's 60% meat with rice and veggies in it, he seems to like it (but he will pretty much eat anything ) It comes in plastic containers and is fairly easy to feed. I don't feed my dogs dry food as it upsets my collie.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-05-2010, 11:12 AM
How are their body condition? Overfeeding leads to both fussy eating and soft stools.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide.

I guess I hadn't thought about how convenient kibble is for travel. Last month we took Raven with us to a convention and had to leave Sampson with a sitter. I just measured the food they would need out in Zip-Lock bags and packed it. Last summer when we went away for a whole week with Tux, we took a part full bag.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Lorna my dog is fed mostly on a raw diet now and her tummy has never been better, no more runny poos, sweet breath and great coat and condition .

If you decide to switch to raw feeding, while you are away you could temporarily feed a wet food, something like Nature Diet as Wyard mentioned switching to it gradually a few days before you go away to let your dogs get used to it.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you all for your replies, I think I will give the RAW food some serious consideration hadn't even thought about the nature diet option thanks Mini excellent!

Will chat it over with Rachy later
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 12:41 PM
used to fed raw, i enjoyed it, but didnt suit flynn at all (my older girls were fine) i simply couldnt get im to eat enough, & veggies...... OMG.He couldnt tolerate Lamb. I still give them the odd Chicken wing, but Mav cant tolerate raw chicken.

I get on really well with CSJ, Try him on CP21,he will love it, they will give you free samples!!!!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
used to fed raw, i enjoyed it, but didnt suit flynn at all (my older girls were fine) i simply couldnt get im to eat enough, & veggies...... OMG.He couldnt tolerate Lamb. I still give them the odd Chicken wing, but Mav cant tolerate raw chicken.

I get on really well with CSJ, Try him on CP21,he will love it, they will give you free samples!!!!
Ok thanks Mish
Beth95
New Member!
Female 

20-04-2015, 03:04 PM
my pup is being fed on the natural dog food companys salmon and brown rice, it is specifically made for sensitive tums and for the past 6 years we have not seen any sign of upset!