Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Hi
As you know i have a boxer with spondylosis.I have found that if she does not get some chicken every day,she becomes very much more stiff.If you google it you will see that it does have anti inflamatory properties.Due to all her other problems i really didnt want to start giving her pain medication but i have had to sometimes.My vet gave her previcox.I have now just ordered her some "devils claw" which is a natural herb from Africa and is a good anti inflamatory.Another product i found to be very benificial to her is "cortaflex HA".I dont know if it is her hips it is helping or her spine but she is very much better for using it.Hope this helps.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 10:18 PM
So sorry to see Millie has this, but now at least you have a diagnosis. I really pray the meds work well for her.
Anoush, our blonde GSD has severe HD and is on Previcox and she manages very well on it with no apparent side effects.
Take care and gentle hugs from me and mine
xx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Awh Jackie really sorry to read this, as you know Rosie had Spondylosis. It's a horrible condition. I haven't been reading the daily thread so did not realise what was happening until you started this thread. Give her a massive hug from us x

We control Katie's hip arthritis with Joint Aid, which Kristine (Boxacrazy) recommends. It's good stuff. Katie cannot take conventional meds because of renal problems so we had to look around for something else and then I remembered Kristine's recommendations. Katie had got to the stage she couldn't get into the back of the car & hobbled on three legs. Now she leaps into the car and leaps up to box Harvey in the garden again. I usually get ours off eBay.

http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/joint-pr...-dogs-500g.asp
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 06:03 AM
So sorry to hear the latest on dear Millie I hope and pray the meds will keep her condition at a level you can cope with Jackie, so that she can continue to enjoy life. Georgie had this for quite a while, but the other end of his spine, and his daily meds kept the pain at bay, and I hope Millie will be the same. I'm sure you will be doing everything you can to help her with this condition. When you say about the car, have you thought about a folding ramp like I got for Georgie, it made a huge difference for him getting in and out? Good luck with her, I hope she's well on the mend now and you can relax again.xx
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 06:59 AM
So sorry to hear about Millie - it's not always the relief you need when you find out what the problem is, is it? I hope you can get her to the point of comfort and quality of life.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
For those who have been following her being poorly in the daily thread, I thought I would update you in a separate thread.

Not long got back from the vets, xrays done and basically she has server Spondylosis of the spine, from the base of her neck to her pelvis, which is also affected (cant remember the actual name) but its basically Spondylosis of the pelvis , and has a lot of degeneration.

The prognosis is hopefully once the inflammation around the vertebra settles down, she will feel much better.

the next stage if needed would be MRI scan mostly around the thoracic area to try to pinpoint the source of the pain, as it is now, we are only guessing due to the amount of inflammation,

If this does not settle the only other option is to operate, (which is not an opinion) due to the risk and her age... so in short , we control her pain, till it settles down, (hopefully) or........... well I don`t want to go there,

Intermittent attacks we can cope with, but if she was to have weeks like the last one , well none of us could cope with that.

Hopefully this will settle with spasmodic attacks, ( if at all) and we can keep her pain free.

Got to look at a few changes to her routine, getting in and out of the car for a starter

Thanks for listening.
Hi Talkto your vet about Aqua-puncture,it is really good re pain and works extemley well on horses and dogs,and they get instant relief which can last months,also hydra Therapy
I have had Aqua puncture myself,because some of these pain killers can be nasty regarding the gut. A few vets have even taken courses, so they can do it themselves it is very relaxing and you doze Good luck with Millie keep us posted crystalgirl
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Just a quick update ..............

Millie is doing Ok, we are almost off the meds, she is still on one steroid a day and half a diazepam a day, I am going to takeher off the diazapam at the end of the week them give her another week on the steroid then take her off that, hopefully she will not have a relapse, or if she does only slight ones, will keep the medication stocked up for if and when its needed.

My worry is we are off on holiday in about 5 weeks ,(for a week) my son is looking after her, and I need to know she is going to be Ok, before we go, (hence the withdrawal from the meds) . but on the whole, she is brighter in herself and is going for small walks....

Hopefully this is settling down to a comfortable level, that she can cope with, only time will tell, but on the whole we have seen a big improvement.

The SA... is still a problem given what she has been through in the last few mths, (with her teeth an all) its not unexpected, she follows me around the house all the time.

I am leaving her for longer periods , to try and get her back to normal.
on top of all that, I think she is going deaf too

Dogs........... who`d have them
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi JB I am pleased that Millie is a little better, the prospect of leaving her for a week must be worrying for you. x
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear this... it seems like everyones dog is getting sick lately. I hope you and Millie are alright. I always make it a point to remind people not to get really stressed out over these things.

A few people I know have stroked out or have had to be hospitalized because they truly worried WAY too much. We're all rooting for you two! Don't forget that!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
only time will tell, but on the whole we have seen a big improvement.
So pleased to be reading that, let us hope it continues and son does not have any problems while you're away.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >