Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
The deformity in the hair follicles caused by the ridge does predispose to dermoid sinus. A serious condition that can introduce infection into the vertebral column. There is a paper on this somewhere, I think I've posted on Dogsey in the past about this.
Other breeds also suffer from Dermoid Sinus as do ridgeless RR. Dermoid sinus can also be found in other areas of the dog as on the head and not just the ridge. The recent research I have read is pointing to folic acid making a difference,as in Spina Bifida in humans.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:48 AM
now do you understand what I ment !!!!!!!its not the byb's the the breed people we are ment to respect sadly many of those nvolved with cavaliers have known for years and the good breeders have tried hard to outcross and reduce this evil gene ..

there are good guys out there who have tried but as you saw last night its like fighting against the wind ..
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
For me one of the major problems with the BBC's irresponsible and sensationalist approach to this programme is that it will give comfort and encouragement to those breeding indiscriminately for money. "Of course it's OK to breed my mongrel to the mongrel next door - the RSPCA and the BBC says they are better than pedigrees so I'm actually doing the world a favour while selling untested mongrels to an unsuspecting population."
Mick
Well said Mick.

I think that it was important that the issues in the program were brought to the public's attention but I, too, fear that the result will be unscrupulous breeders taking advantage and making out any old unregistered cross will be healthy. I can just see the ££££ signs lighting up in the eyes of those already charging exorbitant prices for first generation crosses.

I think the KC has to stop abdicating responsibility by saying they will alienate breeders. I think they should be setting the example and that being a KC accredited breeder should actually mean something!

Pepper was my first dog and I got her before I found Dogsey and I actually thought KC registration meant a healthy dog from an ethical breeder.

Maybe we shouldn't be leaving the health and welfare of dogs in the hands of a charitable organisation who's only sanction is to refuse registration?

J
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Other breeds also suffer from Dermoid Sinus as do ridgeless RR. Dermoid sinus can also be found in other areas of the dog as on the head and not just the ridge. The recent research I have read is pointing to folic acid making a difference,as in Spina Bifida in humans.

There is nevertheless irretfutable evidence linking dermoid sinus with ridge. There is positive correlation between presence of ridge and presence of dermoid sinus.

This doesn't mean that DS will never occur without presence of ridge, or that all dogs with ridge will have DS. What it does mean though, is that a dog with a ridge is more likely to have DS than a dog without ridge.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
now do you understand what I ment !!!!!!!its not the byb's the the breed people we are ment to respect sadly many of those nvolved with cavaliers have known for years and the good breeders have tried hard to outcross and reduce this evil gene ..

there are good guys out there who have tried but as you saw last night its like fighting against the wind ..
Well said. But as can be seen clearly on here, blame will always be put on the bybs and puppy farmers. Yes their practice is disgusting, but the so called good breeders need to own up for their own mistakes and practices too instead of passing the buck. I really feel for the genuine breeders who actually do care, you're fighting a losing battle it seems.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
There is nevertheless irretfutable evidence linking dermoid sinus with ridge. There is positive correlation between presence of ridge and presence of dermoid sinus.

This doesn't mean that DS will never occur without presence of ridge, or that all dogs with ridge will have DS. What it does mean though, is that a dog with a ridge is more likely to have DS than a dog without ridge.
I think that until more research is carried out that is the best assuption. Though if breeders are culling ridgeless pups, the ones with DS would never have been identified leading to the conclusion that ridgeless dont suffer from this.
Could it be that the DS usually being found on the back that has lead people to think that it is the ridge is the major factor? Could RR have problems with absorbsion of folic acid and the ridge is a red herring?
It is such an interesting subject and I have so many questions but I don't want to highjack the thread
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:25 AM
On balance the programme has exposed some important issues. This discussion is long, long overdue...it is a shame it took a sensationalist theme to draw everyone's attention to the science that has been around for 10 years, but it was necessary. I am not referring to health testing, but the work done by geneticists and has been in the public domain, available for all (and in some instances, written especially for breeders). It has even been posted on Dogsey .

What is more interesting is why is it been ignored? Too difficult to understand? Too new? Perhaps. Equally likely it is perceived as a threat, by those who don't fully understand the benefits. Clearly some of those views are shared by our governing body, unfortunately. Ideas then become entrenched based on partial information, in part, due to ridiculous comments and positions bandied about....the show scene feels besieged and takes an opposing position...and so it goes on.

This is an opportunity to improve things...we shouldn't miss it. I would like to see the following, what do you think:

1. A public database of all registered pedigree dogs in the UK, with registered litters, health tests and titles won (working or exhibition). Other FCI countries do this. Breed clubs would then have public records to refer too and all could see bloodlines instantly, popular sires developing or unsuitable repeat matings etc etc. Transparent and open.

2. KC-led (contracted out) education of breed club members and judges about basic population genetics and breeding for health and diversity, importance of minimising line breeding. Compulsory for breeders in order to register a litter, working towards an accredited status.

3. KC funded courses on canine health and up to date research in breed specific diseases for Breed Club Health Committee members.

4. An immediate review of breed standards for breeds deemed in urgent need, using external experts to inform decisions and action plan.

5. A review of all BS to maximise genetic health and diversity, for example allowing currently banned colours to meet BS.

I expect there are many many others....all suggestions welcome. We need to move the emphasis from blame (Sigh, KC, breeders, judges, BYB, PF etc ) and take responsibility ourselves....Writing to your breed club and the KC will help put pressure on. Any takers/thoughts?

Mary
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
For example, a very old couple would not normally pick a high energy dog such as a border collie. But if they opt for a dog of complete unknown parentage (mongrel)...how do they know what their pup is going to turn into?

We laugh (in a sad way) about people returning big breeds because 'they got too big', but this is because it would have been obvious. With a mongrel, you have much less idea and I could see more being handed back because they got too big or because they developed traits the owner wasn't prepared for.

And....how many of the people who breed the first crosses and mongrels will be prepared to take a pup they have bred back?
What I meant was I will never buy from a breeder because I'll always get rescue dogs. I am prepared for the fact that I will not know the temperament /size of the dog I am taking on, but the beauty of getting a dog from Dog's Trust is that you have their unlimited support for the LIFETIME of the dog.

If only one person decides to go for a rescue instead of going to a breeder because of the programme, then that at least is one dog rescued.

However, I would not rule out adopting a 'pedigree' dog from Dog's Trust. I'm not a mongrel snob
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
What I meant was I will never buy from a breeder because I'll always get rescue dogs. I am prepared for the fact that I will not know the temperament /size of the dog I am taking on, but the beauty of getting a dog from Dog's Trust is that you have their unlimited support for the LIFETIME of the dog.

If only one person decides to go for a rescue instead of going to a breeder because of the programme, then that at least is one dog rescued.

However, I would not rule out adopting a 'pedigree' dog from Dog's Trust. I'm not a mongrel snob
thanks for that, sorry I was a bit slow on the uptake.
As you probably know, all mine are rescues too, so no argument from me now I understand where you're coming from
mongrel snob - I like it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Well it seems the programme last nigh has done its job...

Just looked on another forum, and it seem rescue centres are already be inundated with people bringing in their pedigrees..

It has panicked people into abandoning their pets, just in case they develop any of the illnesses we saw last night.....

Well done tot he programme makes and the BBC... wonder if they will donate any of their profit/fee.. to rescue centres around the country who are going to have to deal with the fallout of this........

NOOOOOO... all they where interested in was sensationalism and ratings
Page 18 of 65 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »