Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:56 PM

Saw someone hitting their dog tonight on walk

We went round the pitch and putt course tonight after all the golfers had vacated it. Normally the dog walkers take over then.

Someone we saw a little way behind us had a GSD on lead so I recalled Parker and leashed him (Izzy on a long lead anyway). We then carried on walking and stopped and played ball with the dogs. I then saw him yanking the dog really harshly with the lead and then he hit it a few times round the head!

I was really shocked and wanted to go over and have a word with him about his treatment of the dog but Jamie wouldn't let me. He said I might get bitten as it seemed the dog had issues. I was really upset though-poor dog. Hitting it is not really going to help it with any of its problems is it.

There were quite a few people around too so I was shocked that he would treat it like this in front of others.

Would you have said anything?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 10:01 PM
When I was 7 I saw a man doing this and I was furious - my Mum literally had to hold me back and drag me away, I later found out he was the Dad of someone who put my older sister in hospital and she didn't want anything to happen to me - but she called the RSPCA for me.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
I would want to but its very risky. People like this are dangerous and bullies IMO and they might turn on you.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Do you know, i think it's the most awful thing to witness I'm really sorry you had to.

VERY worrying, especially as you say he did this infront of so many people, what does he do behind closed doors . Some dog owners with tempers...i dread to think...

I've only ever witnessed a man kicking a dog (Park Hall, Crewe, white boxer, stupid man deserves to be named and shamed) - hard, really hard, a skinny little boxer and before I knew it I had screamed "OI, there's no need to do that to him!!!!!!" and swore at him, full pelt, yelling, not like me at all, honestly but i was so shocked/upset. Luckily the man put his head down in shame and just walked off, seemed quite a timid man, good job.

The dog had poor recall and had come over to pester mine and he had a real hard time getting it back, it wasn't really a problem, the dog was friendly and we stopped to make it easier for him to fetch the dog. Then after he walked off, he thought we'd gone round a corner but I actually stopped to pick up something and i HEARD the boots in the dogs ribs He did it with every bit of force he had and he wasn't a small man either

I couldn't get it out of my head for weeks.

So yeah, i'd have probably said, shouted something before I even knew it.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
I would to but its very risky. People like this are dangerous and bullies IMO and they might turn on you.
I agree with this. If they will hit a dog they may well hit a woman. It's hard not to say anything though. I see a red haze in situations like that.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 10:40 PM
It's such a horrible situation to be in, my instinct is to shout at them but, like others have said, they could easily turn... if they do it to a dog, then they could do it to a person, especially a woman.

I once saw someone hitting a GSD while I was having a driving lesson, and was shouted at by my instructor for paying too much attention to the guy and shouting through the closed window (we were stopped by the way, but he was explaining something to me so I was meant to be paying attention ).

The other day, Jake was attacked by 2 boxers. It was the white one who started it (they were both offlead, while Jake was onlead) but the brindle joined in. The owner grabbed the white one, while I tried to get the brindle one away (made difficult by the fact neither had collars but thankfully once the white one was dragged off Jake, the brindle one stopped). The owner had the white one between his legs, and started punching her in the face . I will be honest that at the time, I wasn't concerned at all. My main concern was checking Jake was ok, which he was apart from being absolutely terrified, and was soaked in saliva. Afterwards though, I felt terrible for the boxer. It was totally the owners fault, the dog should never have been allowed to be in that position and should have been on a lead (especially since this happened next to a main road ). Also, punching the dog repeatedly in the face will not help in the slightest, it will make the dog worse if anything!
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Do you know, i think it's the most awful thing to witness I'm really sorry you had to.
I'm with you on this -it really is quite upsetting to witness.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
I would want to but its very risky. People like this are dangerous and bullies IMO and they might turn on you.
Whilst I don't agree with this behaviour, neither do I agree that those behaveing in such a manner can be so easily categorised - some might well be frustrated and at the end of their tether, there are others who do in fact believe that what they are doing is the best way forward. A kind word and an offer of help would be best IMO.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
....There were quite a few people around too so I was shocked that he would treat it like this in front of others.

Would you have said anything?
Yes, I would and I have, many times. Sometimes it's been a good result when I've been able to show empathy.

However I've also just not been able to control myself and have seen red, and have shouted etc but then I am only human, and usually really stressed out by seeing it.

What you can do is to sort of bump into the person a few minutes later, or maybe next time if they are regulars, and strike up a conversation. If they are open to chatting, they may be relieved to offload and to get some help. But if they are not regulars or are likely to disappear, then I do think they need to know their own behaviour is not acceptable to others!

Hard if they do happen to be aggressive, though ... you do have to be aware of your own safety.

Wys
x
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I have to admit I have shouted at a young guy for hitting his lab puppy about the head with the METAL clip part of lead! To be fair though, I was only brave because I knew my 6'2, 18 stone OH was just round the corner

He just shouted back that it was the only way the pup would listen to him