Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2009, 06:03 PM

What do you think?

Just over a week ago we picked up a dog on behalf of a rescue and she stayed with us for a few days untill we could transport her to them.

Unfortunately, I fell head over heels in love with her. Now this doesnt happen often, I have now fostered and rehomed over 250 dogs since I started this a few years ago and have only had 3 failures to add to the 2 dogs we already had. Not too bad I dont think.

Hubby has said that under no circumstances are we having a 6th dog as its 'too much'. Now I would agree that im not going to go out hunting for a 6th dog as we dont 'need' another....BUT.....this little girl fell into my lap, happens to be what I have always wanted but has never come along before. She will easily find a home elsewhere im sure, but that doesnt stop me wanting her.

We have discussed at length and I am trying to understand why he says another is too much but I just cant see it. His hobby is sport and football, mine is dogs. I walk them, groom them, train them, feed them....in fact I do everything. Dont get me wrong he does chip in and love the dogs that we have dearly, but the lions share of the work falls to me and I love it, im just animal mad. My feeling is what difference is it really going to make to him? He may occasionally have to put down an extra bowl, or pick a different coloured hair off his clothes.

He says we dont have room - ok so we live in a much smaller house than most would consider with our gang BUT I work from home - as a dog walker, I have loads of time for my dogs and they are all well excercised, stimulated and content. He says there will be more hair, well yes.....but when there are 5 already what is one more...

For a few days I was really really down about it all and couldnt see the wood for the trees, but seem to have come out of it now and im over the worst, but would still rip his hand off if he changed his mind.

What does everyone else think.....Is 5 dogs enough and wanting another unreasonable of me? Would she be better off going elsewhere, where the probability is that the new owner wont have 5 others to take attention from her?

Go on be honest - I think I can take it But if you can be honest gentley that would be appreciated
Bucksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I think you should go with your heart and keep her,hubby will come round,they always do.Saying that we've got 10 dogs so we're just as nuts as you

So long as she fits in with the rest of your pack,think you deserve her after all the good work you've done for rescue dogs.Sounds like fate to me.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Don't ask me I can't talk my hubby into getting a second, never mind a sixth
Good luck though.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I have 3 dogs and will (hopefully) add no4 to the mix next year... so I like a gang of dogs....
As long as you can find time for each dog, have enough money to feed them and for those unexpected vet trips and you want one and have found the right one, then I say....
GO FOR IT!!!!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I think the big mistake some women make, is asking! I just tell my OH when we are getting a dog (he pays too ). I only promised not to buy any more because I knew I'd be "growing my own" (have kept three of my own pups now). So I'm up to nine dogs and if one of my girls at any time has a pup I can't part with, that'll make ten

The thing is, my OH doesn't care what I do, so long as he doesn't have to feed, walk or look after the dogs (though is more than happy to help with any task, so long as it's not HIS duty).

Reading some of the threads on here lately, I'm thinking I might be lucky my OH is the way he is (even if he can be an irritating man at times). He just wants me to be happy!

I say, keep your girl. I think that once you go past having two dogs, you learn to dog juggle without even realising it
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I think you are very wise coming onto a doggie forum to ask our opinions, like we're going to say no lol..... just hide the title of this forum when you show him what the general opinion is
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I think maybe she's meant to be if she's what you've always wanted and has turned up as a rescue! (pics would be great!)

I think when you have that many dogs one more isn't going to make a huge difference. It sounds like you're in the perfect position to have multipal dogs being a dog walker and as long as it's not a strain financially then why not!
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2009, 06:35 PM
LOL Thank you all, you are making perfect sense to me......shame he doesn't want too/wont see it the same way.

The said girl in question has gone off to the rescue to get her vaccinations done and be microchipped etc (too young to be spayed at the mo under their guidelines) and it was really hard parting with her knowing that I probably wouldnt get her back. I cant even bring myself to visit whilst she is there at the moment when he is still saying no.

Maybe I shouldnt have asked, but like others have said, I do sometimes get the dogs thrown (not literally) in my face if we row....and I do try not to deliberately irritate him or rock the boat.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I think the big mistake some women make, is asking!
I say, keep your girl. I think that once you go past having two dogs, you learn to dog juggle without even realising it
I always wonder why women feel they have to ask. I never did - which could be why I`m happily divorced of course - but if you look after them, what`s his problem? You should be equals in this relationship and I bet he doesn`t ask you if he can go to a football match, does he?
carleyaves
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2009, 08:48 PM
i think you know what the "right" answer is and just wanted some backup!!! lol. i think with a brill job like yours and the time you have to give to all those other dogs another one wouldn't make a tiny bit of difference. go on.....!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >