Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by crumpetface View Post
thanks for your reply. However I really can't give Ruby to a rescue-I don't want to burden them any more than they are at the moment-and I couldn't face Ruby being in kennel for the days or weeks it would take to assess her and rehome her.Yes,I would do all those things-I've already driven to Birmingham to visit a family who wanted her and decided the excercise she would be given wouldn't be sufficient(tied to a pushchair for the walk to school and back)-Ruby needs to run! I would also take Ruby back if it didn't work out.
Some rescues rehome dogs from home, that is, a rep visits them to assess, a homecheck is carried out for the new prospective owner then the dog goes to new home if all is ok. It is merely the rescues job to help you find a suitable new home.

Therefore...no stay in kennels
crumpetface
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
that sounds good, I've contacted the 3 rescue centres in Leicester- 1 refused to help me at all-said i'd have to leave the dog there.another has said they will put a poster up about Ruby in their reception.I'm still waiting to hear from the RSPCA-but think they might be too busy. I will pay any rescue that helps me because i appreciate the time and effort involved. maybe poodle rescue would do something like that for me-i don't think she needs to go into foster because shes ok staying with me until i can find the right home-and i think she would find get a home quick because shes gorgeous-i'll ring them tomorrow-not sure they'll help because shes a cross-worth a try
crumpetface
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I spoke to my mum & dad today and they won't let me give her up-they want her! I didn't want to ask them before as i didn't want them to feel pressured to have her-but now they have offered and it sounds like they really want to help her. they're going to come with me on Thursday to see the behaviourist.we see them all the time so she will still have her friend to play with. I think i'm going to keep her for a week or so and try and get her used to being on her own at night and when i go out,rather than with my other dog Crumpet.any suggestions on how to reduce her separation anxiety while i do this?also do any of you have any tips on how my parents and i can help her with her aggression problem?I'll explain what happens-she has attacked a dog 3 times
1st time-i offered to take a very young wrking cocker bitch calld Bailey out on a walk with my dogs as her owner was poorly.Bailey is very under excercised and hyper. she kept chasing my little Crumpet and wouldn't leave her alone.Ruby saw this and went for Bailey(i think she was protecting Crumpet)
2nd time-we met up with another young hyper jack russell(sorry but a few of my friends aren't very good at walking their dogs)she is also a bitch and Ruby attacked her on and off the lead(i must admit that this dog seemed just as much to blame and was having a right go back)
3rd time-we took the dogs to an RSPCA dog show-Ruby was on the lead and politely greeted loads of dogs no problem-then we went to a park to play fetch-another jack russell(she doesn't like jr's!) ran by my dogs and ignored them.My dogs followed it to say hello-it told Crumpet to back off(not in a nasty way) and Ruby attacked it.
so i think she is very protective of Crumpet but misinterprets grumpy or hyper dogs and thinks they want a fight. How can we get her to be more tolerant? if a dog tells Crumpet to go away she just leaves it-she would never fight.How can we help Ruby to just leave it alone?i know i've probably made it worse by getting stressed when it happens-how can we give off the right vibes? sorry for so many questions,and i know the trainer will hopefully be able to help-but thought you nice doggy people might have some ideas too?
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Great news about your mum and dad! I read your post yesterday and was so hoping you would be able to sort something out.

Sorry, I can't give you any advice about her problem but was thinking maybe you should start a new post in the training/behaviour section - might be more likely for the experts here to spot?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 05:32 PM
read his with tears in myeyes!

I am a bit of a stresshead too LOL

So glad there seems to be a solution.

Maybe you could post the question about seperation anxiety and aggression in the training and behaviour section. There are few really experienced people here who might offer advice. Remember though they havn't seen how she actually is so if your behaviourist is good then hopefully they can help too

Good luck
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh thats brilliant news that crumpet has a home and you can still be in her life too! I am sorry I don't have any advice, but there are many on here who will be able to help.
crumpetface
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 06:31 PM
thanks for the tip about changing sections!
crumpetface
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi-just an update about Ruby
my mum and dad have fallen in love with her-she is devoted to my dad and has been nice to every dog she has met so far(and she is getting lots of walks!) i think she is calmer now she doesn't have to worry about protecting Crumpet. Crumpet finds it a bit weird that her sis now lives with the grandparents but i think its all going to work out now
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2010, 01:20 PM
That really is good news about Ruby. You are obviously very fond of her and it is nice that you will still be part of her life. I hope that she continues to do well living with your parents.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2