View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I have seen so many adverts that say these dogs are easy to train and or have good recall, adverts from club breeders, as well as 'unknown' breeders.
Yes, of course the owners need to do a good amount of research but if an approved breeder is willing to put the above on an advert then what is the message that is sent out to potential new owners?

Some of these dogs are easier than others, I think it depends on which breeder one goes to, and what percentage of which of the 'founder' breeds is in the sire and dam. I may be off the mark, but that is the conclusion I have come to.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Is she in cornwall/devon?

I have a friend looking for a companion for her large/young crossbreed. However he lives outside in a large pen with a lovely shed to sleep in. She wouldn't be an inside dog at all and would be with the other dog 24/7.
Would this be ok for her? Does she bark alot? I'll train her up for my friend and she'll get A LOT of exercise (farm home) The other dog is a simialr breed.

Adam

Btw the pen is 6 foot fencing and 50m square.
PM me if you want, My friend is desperate for another dog and looking very hard so might have one already I see them about once a week.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Over MY dead body would you train her---I'd have her here rather!

rune
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Is she in cornwall/devon?

I have a friend looking for a companion for her large/young crossbreed. However he lives outside in a large pen with a lovely shed to sleep in. She wouldn't be an inside dog at all and would be with the other dog 24/7.
Would this be ok for her? Does she bark alot? I'll train her up for my friend and she'll get A LOT of exercise (farm home) The other dog is a simialr breed.

Adam

Btw the pen is 6 foot fencing and 50m square.
PM me if you want, My friend is desperate for another dog and looking very hard so might have one already I see them about once a week.
She is not an outdoor dog and never has been. She also is a bit vocal.

I'm afraid, given your stance on how you would approach training on of these dogs, I would not be happy sending one to you knowing the methods you would choose to use.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh ok, no problem, good luck rehomeing her anyway.

Adam
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Over MY dead body would you train her---I'd have her here rather!

rune
me too!!!
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2010, 06:36 PM
RE the recall - at 7 months she is still quite young anyway, goodness knows our 8.5 month girl is not perfect at recall yet! I'd assumed this was not unusual.

I wonder how much time & effort was put into exercising her and training her properly especially if the nasty sounding boy was involved.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 08:54 AM
She is on her way here this morning---the owner rang in tears and I said I'd have her and we will home her from here.

Wish us luck finding a home please---I REALLY don't want to keep this one.

rune
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
She is on her way here this morning---the owner rang in tears and I said I'd have her and we will home her from here.

Wish us luck finding a home please---I REALLY don't want to keep this one.

rune
Thank goodness you've stepped in, I know you will teach her what she needs to know with love and kindness, and hopefully, this will mean her next home will be the forever one she so dearly needs

Good on you
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by boredinstroud View Post
RE the recall - at 7 months she is still quite young anyway, goodness knows our 8.5 month girl is not perfect at recall yet! I'd assumed this was not unusual.

I wonder how much time & effort was put into exercising her and training her properly especially if the nasty sounding boy was involved.
I don't know any NID with near perfect recall, let alone perfect recall!!!! However, with the GSD input, this may be improved upon?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >