Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vas_Guy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Ringcraft Training

Hi, I'm new here.

I've a 6 month old Malamute who I would like to show I tried her in a few of the agricultural shows without much success.

She's very friendly and she's obedient, I would like to know how do you train the dog to stand still and allow a judge to examine her without her being friendly to the judge.

I've tried teaching her to stand still by holding a treat in front of her, it works but she keeps wagging her tail therefore she cannot be stacked.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 11:24 AM
A wagging tail isn't a problem - I love to see a ring full of wagging Malamutes If she stands nicely on her own there is no need to stack her - I far prefer the look of an unstacked dog.
At six months judges will not expect a statue!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Tony and welcome to Dogsey
She's very friendly and she's obedient, I would like to know how do you train the dog to stand still and allow a judge to examine her without her being friendly to the judge.
I would say lots of practice can you get various people/friends to run their hands over her gently while she stands still saying 'good girl' softly all the time she is still, followed by a treat. Getting her to focus her attention on you will help too .

I've tried teaching her to stand still by holding a treat in front of her, it works but she keeps wagging her tail therefore she cannot be stacked.
Do you need to stack her, can you not just 'move her' until you get the correct stance then stand in front of her and get her concentration .I like to see a wagging tail ..

To get her concentration start with a treat, hold in front of your eyes and ask her to 'look at me' saying 'good girl' but not too exitedly, then give the treat and praise.
Extend the 'look at me' time and see how long you can hold her gaze lowering your voice to a whisper saying 'good girl ' all the time you have her attention, make a sound each time her eyes leave yours 'ahah' then go back to back to 'look at me,good girl' when she returns your gaze ' now treat and praise.

Do this in a quiet place to begin with then somewhere with distraction and eventually you will get her attention for long periods.
Good luck in your showing
Vas_Guy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi Minihaha,

Thanks very much for your advice.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

To get her concentration start with a treat, hold in front of your eyes and ask her to 'look at me' saying 'good girl' but not too exitedly, then give the treat and praise.
Extend the 'look at me' time and see how long you can hold her gaze lowering your voice to a whisper saying 'good girl ' all the time you have her attention, make a sound each time her eyes leave yours 'ahah' then go back to back to 'look at me,good girl' when she returns your gaze ' now treat and praise.
I've noticed that then i hold a treat up she sits instead of standing, so i put the treat in my fist and hold in in front of her nose she stands for this but tries to get the treat.

I'll try holding the treat in front of my eyes tonight and see how it goes, I've a feeling she'll sit when I hold it up.

Also how do you teach her to run round the ring gracefully.

Thanks
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Vas_Guy View Post
Hi Minihaha,

Thanks very much for your advice.

I've noticed that then i hold a treat up she sits instead of standing, so i put the treat in my fist and hold in in front of her nose she stands for this but tries to get the treat.

I'll try holding the treat in front of my eyes tonight and see how it goes, I've a feeling she'll sit when I hold it up.

Also how do you teach her to run round the ring gracefully.

Thanks
Can't add to what Mini has said really - its just pratice and taking it slowly with them.

Regarding the moving gracefully again start off by slowing walking her in control in triangles and up and down. then build up pace - but you don't want her to run so if she does turn her around walking and start again - dont go off to fast though (hope I'm making sense - very tricky to put in words without showing someone).

Teach her the turn so that you can call turn and she knows that means but walking forward holding a treat under her nose and turning her round and say turn - well that's what I do - maybe someone with your breed does differently?

Can you find a ringcraft club for you to attend nearby? I think the Kennel Club can usually let you know your nearest if you give them a call?

I have just posted my training with my gordon setter this weekend in this section so have a look to see what I have been up to - maybe it will help.

I think your breed is free stood not stacked though?
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I think your breed is free stood not stacked though?
They can be either, I personally prefer free standing though

I think that you should try and attend a Ringcraft class if you aren't doing so already. Also as Muddiwarx said, her wagging tail is nothing to worry about, my girl constantly wags hers At 6 months she is still a baby

Glad to hear you are training her yourself and thus learning along with her rather than sending her to someone else to be trained