View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I have tiled my whole bathroom and splashbacks in my kitchen.

I loved it, and it was better than what my husband could do. I went out and he decided to "help me" he grouted some of them for me but didn't clean them up when they were still wet. Hours later i came home to find a whole wall covered in very hard, dry grout. That took longer to sort out than tiling the whole bathroom. Bless him
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 09:44 PM
If i want a diy job doing nicely I do it myself. OH gets sent up ladders to clear the gutters, but if it's something that gets seen all the time, I don't trust anybody else to do it to my standards (except wonderful uncle John who's doing the kitchen while we go out and earn the money to pay for it!!! )

If I were you I'd google for guides to tiling (start at http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/tileovertile.htm) then get together all the kit you'll need and make sure you know how it works before booking yourself a slot of more time than it'll really take to do it (there's a bank holiday coming up )

If you can do paving, you can do this!
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 06:32 AM
oh fab idea dub, but my tiles are actually falling off the walls so wont be able to tile over them - they all need taking off, and starting again!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 08:03 AM
If most of your tiles are falling off you may as well take the whole lot off. If only a few are loose, it may be worth just replacing those few and tiling over the old and the replaced ones.

If you are keeping the same worktop remember to cover it up with an old blanket or something so it doesn't get damaged by flying tile bits!

Personally, taking the old ones off is my favourite bit! I used a paint scraper and a hammer and tapped gently. Dont't dig the scraper in at an angle though otherwise you'll take chunks out of your wall! You may be able to use the scraper and hammer to get the old grout bits off as well and then just sand down the rest so that you've got a smooth surface to work on.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
oh heck, a hammer????????

last time i used a hammer, i missed the nail - and broke my finger!!!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2007, 08:46 PM
well make sure you hit the spot this time round........
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
oh heck, a hammer????????

last time i used a hammer, i missed the nail - and broke my finger!!!!
Tap gently then, don't bash - just in case!!!

How many of your existing tiles have been cut and are the tiles you've seen the same size as your current tiles?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2