Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 06:28 PM

tiles - HELP!!!!!

ok guys,

i am a woman i know, but i can lay a path with paving slabs, build a pond, paint a garden fence, paint a wall, put lino down in my kitchen.

will i be able to re tile my kitchen?

has anyone done this? is it difficult to do? can i do it?

only the tiles in my kitchen are falling off the walls - honest they are - and the housing association have been out to look at them but say they will have to do the whole lot with the same tiles, which are a white with a brown streak across them (yuck), or i can do it myself!!!

any help would be good!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 07:15 PM
You'll be able to do them fine, just make sure you buy spacers so they are even but I've done tiling no problem!
Becky
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You'll be able to do them fine, just make sure you buy spacers so they are even but I've done tiling no problem!
Becky
oh thanks. ok, i'll give it a go then!!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 07:34 PM
It sound to me as if you'll manage just fine, just dont start after you've had a drink or two or three or four, guess you get the picture
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-05-2007, 07:42 PM
course you can it isn't hard get the first 1 square use the spaces and bulid it up from there.
we did the bathroom not long ago and even i did a few.... go for it!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Start from the centre of the wall and work outward that way any cuts you make will be at the corner or top bottom of the wall not in the centre - in your eye line:smt002 .

Make sure your exsisting tiles are on firmly and give them a clean first sugar soap is good just follow the instrucions and then rinse them off before putting the new ones on let it dry.
Also check your exsisting tiles any loose either refix or replace with cheap ones as you are tiling over the top and won't see them

Never place a tile directly over another tile in other words stagger the joints new joints should not match your old ones just start the new ones slightly off from the exsisting ones easy if your tiles are different sizes from the old ones.
Remember start at the centre and work outwards towards the corners top bottom of the wall. And do all you full tiles first that way any you ned to cut you can do that all together.
Karen
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 08:39 PM
wow thanks all, we seem to have a few expert tilers here on dogsey!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-05-2007, 08:42 PM
no a few women that do diy........lol
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm getting tips too! I'm moving house soon and want to do as much DIY as I can myself. Only thing I'm not doing is laying the wood flooring or the carpet. I just don't have the patience for the fiddly bits.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes I'm sure you will be fine. I've done 2 kitchens & 1 bathroom so it wasn't bad enough to put me off after the first project. If it is a big area you will probably find it a bit boring after a while though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >