Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 12:46 PM

spring cleaning - getting rid of stuff

well as people may know o/h walked months ago and now i have been doing the liberating thing of getting rid of huge amounts of just junk that has accumulated over the 10 years i have lived here. we have been busy recycling, freecycling, charity shopping, donating and going to the amenity tip.

just made me think of the old adage if something is in the cupboard for more than 6 months and not used you can get rid of it. i found on my travels through the house 2 boxes of china still wrapped up in the newspapers from when we moved in over 10 yrs ago. they have now found a new home in the charity shop.

so what is the strangest thing you have found at the back of the cupboard or in the loft when you have been tidying up?

sue
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I won't go into my loft, it has over 400 years of crap in it

The only thing we found recently was a door key that's probably 200 + years old.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Ooooooh, I love a good clean-out! In fact, I love it so much there's nowehere in my house that goes more than a year without being blitzed. My husband collects all manner of rubbish though. He follows me round on my missions, squirrelling away anything he thinks might be useful. He also attaches sentimental value to EVERYTHING! There's a cookery book his parents gave him which got dropped in the sink at some point, and most of the pages are stuck together, but he won't throw it awas
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I have been turning my unwanted clutter into much needed cash by ebaying it

I am a shoe fanatic and had accumlated somewhere in the region of 150 pairs so I am selling some of them off, along with other bits and bobs and the proceeds are going towards relandscaping the desolate waste land we call a back garden

I always clear my wardrobe about twice a year and all that goes to charity shops.

I've only recently discovered that there is a freecycle in my area so I'll be using that too in future
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
Ooooooh, I love a good clean-out! In fact, I love it so much there's nowehere in my house that goes more than a year without being blitzed. My husband collects all manner of rubbish though. He follows me round on my missions, squirrelling away anything he thinks might be useful. He also attaches sentimental value to EVERYTHING! There's a cookery book his parents gave him which got dropped in the sink at some point, and most of the pages are stuck together, but he won't throw it awas
i know the feeling. used to be like that but recently have gone through some life changing events and i have reassessed where my security really lies and its not in stuff anymore.

sue
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I always try to have 6 monthly clear outs and it never ceases to amaze me how often I still find stuff years old even though I cleared it out 6 mths previously!
Becky