View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dave g
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-07-2010, 03:26 PM
So all you people replying to this post, have any of you owned a pibull, i would say about 99% have not, so really you cannot comment that pits should be banned, when i was younger my father add 4 game pits, he ruled them with a iron fist not one of them dogs stepped out of line or fought among them selfs, what i am saying is, a pitbull in the right hands is a great dog, pitbulls in the wrong hands, well thats why we have a ban. someone just said if they lift the ban on pitbulls there will an increase in dogfighting, when the ban was put on pitbulls there wasnt a decrease in dog fighting....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by dave g View Post
So all you people replying to this post, have any of you owned a pibull, i would say about 99% have not, so really you cannot comment that pits should be banned, when i was younger my father add 4 game pits, he ruled them with a iron fist not one of them dogs stepped out of line or fought among them selfs, what i am saying is, a pitbull in the right hands is a great dog, pitbulls in the wrong hands, well thats why we have a ban. someone just said if they lift the ban on pitbulls there will an increase in dogfighting, when the ban was put on pitbulls there wasnt a decrease in dog fighting....
Game pits, is that a euphemism for fighting dogs

Sounds like a nice man using his "iron fist"
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Banning Pit Bulls is, I believe a total waste of time. The fact that it's against the law in this country means nothing to the non law-abiding thugs who like to own them to fight or as a "status" symbol. These idiots don't care about the law anyway so it won't stop them. It only serves to persecute the the responsible dog owners who own PB types.
We have a greyhound and 2 lurchers. One lurcher has started to become dog aggressive when on the lead which sets the others off...as responsible dog owners we address that and are now using distraction techniques which are working. However we are constantly aware that as a pack, they could potentially attack and kill any dog. However my dogs are not classed as dangerous....but I know they could possibly be and take all the necessary precautions.
What I am tryin to say is that yes, PB's can be dangerous...but so could my "gentle breed" lurchers and greyhound.
Each DOG should be handled for the way it is not the way the breed is supposed to be. And that's why the law is crazy with this blanket ban!
dave g
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Game pits, is that a euphemism for fighting dogs

Sounds like a nice man using his "iron fist"
Game pits are the smaller pits 30lb to 55lb you only use them for fighting if thats what floats you boat,as for the iron fist thats the way you keep pits inline, my father kept pits for over 25 years without incident....
dave g
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-07-2010, 05:53 PM
As i have said before, theres no such thing as a bad breed, just bad owners...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
You see thats my point, the dogs are fine. The owners only have them because they are ''hard'' dogs.

Adam
you missed my point then... an 'accessory' yes..hard no
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by missy01 View Post
so why contribute to it in the UK by making the AP legal? Would do so much harm. This is my personal opinion, this breed is not needed in the UK. As it has already been mentioned there are so many Staffy types in dogs homes, bought by people who do not or cannot control them. AP's would add to this.
Still Staffy types have nothing to do with out lawing another breed. And as for not needed they are already there, a bit late for 'not needed!!
People seem to forget, a dog can be pulled in for being a 'type' now, how dangerous is that for misidentification

Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
You see thats my point, the dogs are fine. The owners only have them because they are ''hard'' dogs.

Adam
There are other "hard" dog breeds that people can opt for, people seem to think these people wanting "hard" looking dogs will stop because PBT won't be available. Wiping out one breed is not the way to go, something needs to be done with the stupid attitude of having a "hard" breed.
This law solves nothing and FACTS prove that.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I'm going off what she told me and the news articles I've read. The raids are coming up with pit bulls therefore people are breeding pit bulls.

Unless you yourself are involved in dog fighting, you know just as much as I do.

And I do know a lot about pit bulls. We have many of them in our area. Just about every other person I've met as a Pit or pit mix. I have friends who have them and my dog plays with them fairly frequently. In fact, since they're NOT illegal where I live, I know a hell of a lot more about pit bulls than either of you do. I have daily interactions with the breed. You do not.
I would be interested to know since you live in a country that actually allows these breeds (some states may not but not the country as a whole) how you find the breed. Is the PBT a 'type' over there or actually considered a breed?
I have found the response to your posts as funny, as you actually could meet these dogs regularly, but dismissed by some as you do not live in a country that does not allow them
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I would be interested to know since you live in a country that actually allows these breeds (some states may not but not the country as a whole) how you find the breed. Is the PBT a 'type' over there or actually considered a breed?
I have found the response to your posts as funny, as you actually could meet these dogs regularly, but dismissed by some as you do not live in a country that does not allow them
The American Pit Bull Terrier is an actual breed, but it is not recognized by the AKC. The American Staffordshire Terrier (a close relative) is, however, as is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Often the term "pit bull" has become an umbrella term to describe any of those three breeds and when a place bans "pit bulls" if you look at the actual legislation it lists many more breeds than the American Pit Bull Terrier.

No states actually ban pit bull breeds here. It's specific cities and counties that have. The most infamous is Denver's breed ban but even they have been looking closer at it and the law is being fought in court. Several states (including my own) have laws prohibiting cities and counties from banning particular breeds.

As for how I find the breed, it's relatives and the mixes? They are wonderful dogs. We regularly meet and play with many pit bulls. Bailey, who lives across the road from us, has practically been raised from a puppy by my dog. He's sweet, silly, and just a big goofball. Lady, who is 5 years old, is a rescue from a shelter in the south. She's the sweetest dog I've ever met. The first time I met her, I squatted down to greet her and I was attacked...with kisses. The second time I met her she threw herself at my feet and rolled over for a belly rub. The rushed off to play bow at my dog and the Doberman who was also there visiting. Dallas and Dublin, two pit bulls (one 3 years old, who was found wandering a local cemetery, starving, when he was about 6 months old; the other a year old), we meet down in the local field frequently. The first time we met them it was winter and they and our dog went careening around the snow together. They had great fun chasing each other. Oscar, the pit bull/American bull dog mix across the road is a gentle guy, about 4 years old. He hates the cold so you can often see him out in the winter with a sweater on. Even Icarus, whose owners are idiots and who gets out and runs the neighborhood far too often, is both dog and people friendly. He's just excitable and underexercised. I frequently find him on my walks, hook my leash on him and walk him home (while walking my dog off leash).

Have I met aggressive pit bulls? Sure. There was a territorial one that people left loose around their house down the road. He rushed at us but when we crossed the road he stopped and continued to guard his territory. I'm sure he would have attacked my dog if we had crossed that line. His owners left in the dead of night one night. I'm sure they weren't good people or owners. But meeting one aggressive pit bull does not mean the whole breed should be condemned (I have, after all, met aggressive Springer spaniels, Clumber spaniels, Chihuahuas, Yorkies, and Golden Retrievers, among other breeds).

Here Pit Bulls, AmStaffs, and mixes are very popular. I'd suspect that they rival the lab in popularity (and might very well be even MORE popular as I meet more of them than I do labs!). I meet pits and AmStaffs of all ages who greet my dog nicely, want to play, and give me big kisses (they're known for being kissers!).
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by dave g View Post
I think a few have underestimated a few folks on the thread when said 99% of folks have never owned a pit, never seen a pit...blah, blah, blah..
I once owned a dog that had PB crossed into it's line (will now reveal all, as the dog is now deceased), I found out after extensive research of my dogs lines, one dog, I myself could find no traceable history on so I had a few people ''in the know'' that have been with the dogs from the beginning, go over my dogs paperwork, only one person would admit the truth, after the others just said ''something isn't quite right there''......it wasn't going generations back either it was within the first 5 generations, yet to look at the dog I owned you wouldn't have even thought anything was remotely illegal with it. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have simply and quite happily and truthfully, walked away......

I wouldn't have knowingly flouted the law and knew when I found out the risk involved with keeping the dog - but, just by looking at the dog you wouldn't have known, or, even guessed that there was anything remotely illegal within there But of course that doesn't make it right!!

Which for me is a problem, as how many other dogs are out there that have similar lines ? Quite a few!!
How many of those dogs are bred ? A few!!
How many people who are aware of their dogs ''history'' would actually admit it ? None!!
What kind of people are they sold to and for what purpose? Are they aware of the truth concerning their dogs ''pedigree history''?...Who knows....which is exactly my problem.

So for folks who thought I actually hated PB's they couldn't have been further from the truth after I unknowingly all those years ago purchased a dog who had 100% confirmed as PB being crossed into it's lines.
What I have a problem with is the lengths some folk will go to, to COVER things like that up - as had I been aware at the time of everything I would have had a choice, I could have and would have, walked away from .

But you know what.... Every single person that purchases one of those dogs isn't fully aware of some of their ''pedigree history'' (if they are, they don't have the deceny to admit it) or what they could potentially be taking on, which again bothers me - those really interested in the dogs would have to go through the same process as I myself had to, which was hard if you're moving within a circle where not one person will tell you the truth [some of you know seen it so many times with the NI's], I was lucky, I consider it a privilege to know the person I did who made me aware of absolutely everything and told me the truth, not everyone is quite so lucky as others will happily sweep things under the carpet - which IS why the dogs in question will never ever get any KC recognition, ever, as much as they push for it as too many illegal activities have gone on within that circle and not one person promoting the dogs will admit it, which is why I would NEVER EVER purchase another again

Will mention the PB on on my dogs paperwork (And I did keep that paperwork!!) was actually here before the 1991 banning of them, not that it makes an awful lot of difference I suppose, obviously those dubious of the dogs would have had an idea, but never had it confirmed either way.
Hopefully, people will DO more research and those breeding those dogs WILL review what actually has been used in their lines and make some changes!!!
Page 106 of 132 « First < 6 56 96 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 116 > Last »