View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Well I didn't like dogs [shock!] and then a local hotel dog had an accidental litter and one very cute puppy didn't find a home, so the future wasn't looking good for him, so I took him!

Then 9 months later a female street puppy made friends with our boy, so she became dog #2. Then a year later a shelter I help had a sickly street puppy who needed a lot of care so she became dog #3.

At the rate I'm currently going, it looks like I'm taking one dog per year, so I could end up with a couple of doggie football teams!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 06:20 PM
One Staffordshire bull terrier.....not KC so some prefer to call her a staff cross.

When we decided to get a dog i was happy to go to a rescue centre and get any sort of rescue. I wanted a pup as i had had adult rescues when i wasn't in the position to home a pup but now i work from home i wanted a pup.

My OH also has three boys aged 4,9 and 11 so i wanted a dog i could bring up seeing the children regularly. OH really wanted a weimerama but i felt they weren't right for us as we live in a one bedroomed flat and i didn't want a dog that was too large or one that needed a lot of exercise. I also felt that a SBT would be better with children.

So i suggested a SBT but didn't want a shortie, or one that was too sqishy in the face, and i wasn't interested in having a KC registered pup really. I found Tonks' breeders on a SBT forum, fell in love with the pictures of Tonks mum and dad, both of whom she owned.

I also loved the fact that she was going to have the litter of pups in their pen in the front room.

I went to the breeders with an open mind in case the parents weren't friendly, but they were wonderful so the decision was made!

Like i say, i would have been happy with a mongrel, and once Tonks is old enough i would like to get a rescue lurcher, or a retired greyhound as a friend.
YorkieRose
New Member!
Female 

25-08-2008, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE....dont choose a collie if you are lazy sit on your ass kinda people [/QUOTE]

Very wise advise. I have seen people buy a Border Collie, etc and expect it to be quite content lying around a small apartment all day.
Natalia_leigh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Siberian Husky because they are such a beautiful loving breed and ive always wanted a big dog as there such active dogs i get to go on loads of walks which i love
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I own 4 dogs! Bess, a welsh collie we got from a farm when she was 8 months old. She was terrified, nearly blind and useless with sheep so they kept her in a shed on a leash all the time. She was covered in faeces and matted. I couldn't leave her there so I took her and now she's a happy 8 year old!
Otis, a 7 year old lab collie cross and Bess's son. He's just amazing. The sweetest, gentlest dog you could wish for. He's my babe!
Danny, a 4 year old lurcher adopted 7 weeks ago. I went for another dog and saw him so I took him on too. I love him!!
Jenny, a 2 year old lurcher adopted at the same time as Danny. She's just gorgeous. A babe!!
Seppfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Had a Lab when I was young, then we had GSD's.
When I got married, didn't have a dog for a couple of years - crikey! Dogless!

Have owned Siberians for almost 21 years now & can't imagine ever not having one about - they are in my blood!

Why have I got them?
Who knows...I wonder myself sometimes!
Seriously, they are wonderful dogs...stubborn & single-minded, for the most part - a bit like me, I guess!

Along the way, we've also had a Finnish Laphund, rescued Greyhound, 2 Rottweilers, Dobermann & Lurcher.
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I own pugs

Because theyre adorable, hilarious little clowns

BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:22 PM
At the moment we own a rottweilerX and a jackrussellX in the past we've had a Ridgeback and a jackrussell.

The dogs we currently have, why? My uncles dog was in the garden about 15 years ago, another dog got in, did its business and left, they didnt know. When they found out their jackrussell was pregnant it was to late so we said we would take on one of the pups.
My other dog, we came across him after our ridgeback had died, we was interested in rescuing as our ridgeback we owned the breeder wanted her to be put down and to give us another pup when she was a couple of months old because her face was slightly deformed, ( i know not all breeders are like this etc) but it drove us into wanting to rescue a dog more and we didnt want another ridgeback as we felt like we would be trying to replace her, so we went for a rottweilerX advertised, now he has grown, his coat has changed, his eyes have changed, everything about him has changed and now he looks like the spitting image of our ridgeback, loads of people have asked if he is one, even vets, which baffles me because he has no ridge?!

In the future i would love to rescue more... i love all breeds but up at the top are azawakh's,otterhounds and foxhounds,pointers...infact most hounds or working dogs. But i love all dogs!!
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2008, 11:29 AM
My first dog as a child was a crossbreed, not sure what breed but a lovely natured dog. When my sons were young we owned a JRT and a BCx the choices of my sons. I never used to like JRTs but he converted me, he was such a character and so loyal and loving. The bcx was my souldog, helped me through some very bad times during my divoice and gave my sons a lifelong love of dogs.

When he died my OH said no more dogs, then decided the house was too quiet without one. My son showed us a pic of a rescue dog who looked like my souldog. I didnt want to go and see him as I still missed my other dog but my OH persuaded me and when we saw him he was totally different to Skipper. Max is a flatcoated retrieverx who had been in rescue for around 6 months, he had been rehomed but was too much for the elderly man to cope with and had been returned. He is a lovely dog so loving and calm, I am hoping to to use him as a PAT dog in the future as he loves everybody.

I have always loved bcs and a colleague at work was having to rehome her 8 month old bc due to a marriage breakdown. He was from working parents and we had seen pics of him since he was a pup, in fun one of the other girls said 'Diane loves bcs she'll have him '! I went home and told OH and we met up with them in a local park. AT first Max and the bc didnt get on but within a couple of days they were fine. We had to rename Skye as his original name was Max! He is a typical bc, very lively and quick to learn. I recently took him to a Working Trials tester day, and in spite of the fact he had never done any searching he found all the articles immediately, he even managed heelwork and a sendaway and down stay! He surprised me with how quickly he picked the instructions up.

The next dog we rescused was an oldie we called Morse, a small bcx that had been in kennels for at least 2 years and had health problems. Sadly Morse died 9 months later on Christmas Day.

We then brought a tri colour bc pup, Wisp off a friend, my first pup for 17 years and my first bitch, which was interesting to say the least. Wisp is a pedigree bc registered with the KC and ISDS and there are quite a few champions in her lineage. She is very bright but Ive not done as much training with her as I should due to work committments. I.ve now halved my work hours so intend to do some serious training with her.

A year later I was doing a homecheck for a local rescue and went onto their site to look at the dog I was homechecking. They had a bc on there which we both really liked. On my birthday we went to see him, took the dogs to meet him the following day and Flynn came home with us. Although he is very bc in behaviour I think he may be a bc x springer, he was a stray from Ireland and around 2 years in age, but he has never had any training and is not totally housetrained. I actually think he may have been younger than 2 when we got him as he has grown a lot in the past 4 months. He didnt know how to play and spent the first few weeks watching the other dogs to see how they behaved. He has a lovely temperment but does need some training in behaviour and manners. He also has some issues with Skye but nothing that neuturing and training wont cure.

My eldest son has a GSD which is another of my favourite breeds and one I would love to own. All the dogs I have owned have added so much to my life and taught me so much but my favourite breed has to be the bc. They are such bright, lively dogs with a definite sense of humour! Just when you think you know them they do something totally out of character to keep you on your toes!

I will never be without dogs in my life, when I'm too old to keep up with the young dogs I intend to adopt oldies.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I own a collie/husky and a collie, Shadow the collie x was owned by a friend's siter who couldn't handle him so I offered to rehome as we were looking for a dog.
Fly we adopted, she was owned by grandparents but unfortunately they passed away this year and we didn't want her going to anyone outside the family.
I've grown up surrounded by collies,labs and poodles but collies and lab's were always my favourite and always will be
Page 13 of 24 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »