Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-12-2006, 04:03 PM

Your Favourite (healthy) Recipes!!

Hi All

As we've got loads new members now... I was wondering, if you could share your fave healtht eating recipies...

They have to be easy to understand for a toast burner mind! (me!)

If you are doing more than one, use a seperate post for each. Also feel free to add headings and underlines and bold fonts etc
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Italian Roast

The amounts in this recipe are at your discretion according to how many you want to feed, however in order to have a good selection of vegetables you will end up with alot if only cooking for one or two

Chicken drumsticks (or thighs if you prefer)
A jar of tomatoe pasta sauce
Pasta shape of your choice
Vegetables of your choice

(we like Yam (sweet potatoe), courgette, shallots, carrot, butternut squash, peppers, but you can use whatever suits you)
Olive Oil
Garlic
Salt and Pepper

Place the drumsticks in an oven dich drizzle a little oil over add salt and pepper cover with foil and cook @ 160c for about 45-60mins depending on how many you have

Cut all the vegetables and place into a ceramic dish (cut the thicker ones like yam into smaller pieces so that they don't cook to soon before the courgette)
finely chop as much garlic as you like (we love garlic so have 5-6cloves )and add to the dish,
drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and toss before putting into the oven for approximately 35-40 mins

About 20 before cooking time finishes start cooking the pasta according to the instructions (based on dried pasta), then when cooked add the jar of pasta sauce and stir continuously intil warmed through (according to instructions usually about 5 mins)

Now serve the pasta with chicken drums on the side and vegetables in the middle of the table so you can help yourself.

Is this what you had in mind Azz?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-12-2006, 04:33 PM
(Yep sounds good MH! )
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Cool beans! I have alot of recipes that i cook that are just what we eat as a brood so go a long way for their money, and are not too complicated, here's another..

Beef in Red Wine

Braising Steak
Bottle of red wine
(tescos valpolicella works well)
Mushrooms
Shallots
Baby Plum Tomatoes
Bisto Gravy (powder)

Cut the steak into cubes and place in a slow cooker or casserole dish
Add the red wine (whole bottle if the gravy needs to go a long way, if using a slow cooker switch on now and the red wine will warm itself into the meat)
Now prepare the rest of the veg - shallots and mushrooms and together with the whloe plum toms add to the dish, add 1pt of cold bisto gravy 9made with powder according to instructions) and stir
If in the oven cook on low (150c) for at least 4 hours
In th slow cooker leave on high for 4hours or med/low for 6/8hours (great if you are out for the day)

Serve with either fresh crusty bread, mash or dumplings (Atora veg suet ones i find are best made as per the instructions)

enjoy with another bottle of wine
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Spaghetti Carbonara

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. spaghetti pasta
4 slices bacon
(You can use other meats like pancetta or ham instead of the bacon, or just leave it out altogether)
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. milk
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

PREPARATION:
Cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Set bacon aside.
Cook the pasta as directed on package.

Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks, milk, and garlic in a medium bowl and beat until well blended.

When the pasta is cooked, drain and immediately return to the pot. Stir in the egg mixture and toss thoroughly until combined. Add the bacon and cheese and toss again to coat.

Serve immediately.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Leek and potato soup

1lb of Leeks (washed and sliced)
1lb of floury potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
clove of garlic (crushed)
2 pints of veg stock (stock cubes will do)
salt and pepper
tbsp og marg

Melt marg in a large pan and sweat the leeks. Meanwhile put the potatoes into a pan of water and par boil for 10 mins. Add the crushed garlic to the leeks and fry for a couple of mins. Add the stock, drain and add the potatoes, add the salt and pepper and leave to simmer until the potatoes are cooked.

Allow to cool slightly and blend until smooth.

Serve with crusty bread, or in my case, a multi grain bread

This can be frozen too
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Simple grilled undressed fish and salad
Salad can be assorted green leaves, raw grated carrot, cucumber, tomato, raw chopped red/orange pepper, raw chopped celery, olives in brine and can be dressed with seasoning and lemon juice.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 02:18 PM
I am so useless at cooking I am racking my brains trying to think of something I cook without 'ready made' ingredients.

I do a tofu stir fry: cook the tofu first in chunks, then add small bits of onion, broccoli, green beans, kidney beans, carrotts plus chilli and soy sauce.

Sometimes I add a szchesuan (sp?) sauce (packet).

I usually have it with rice (uncle ben's two mins in the microwave ) and a warmed pitta bread.

Some nice simple veggie recipes would be great please!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Veggie risotto - brown/wholemeal rice and assorted veggies. Can use olive oil to saute onions/garlic and make your own stock or use a stock cube.

Baked potato + side salad, fillings:

Tuna mayo, made with Extra Light Mayo.
Low fat cottage cheese with pineapple or chives
Low fat cheese & olives

Granary/wholemeal baguette filled with salad + cottage cheese or tuna or salmon or low fat tuna mayo.

Veggie hotpot using assorted beans such as kidney beans.

Chicken & veg stir fry with rice or pasta or wholemeal roll
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Scooner Tuna

Tomato sauce - onions sauted in olive oil, veg added (carrot and/or red/orange peppers), cook until soft add tin chopped tomatoes and garlic. Can add low fat cream cheese and can add cornflour to thicken. Can add olives, basil, oregano. Can add salt & pepper. Can add sugar if you prefer a sweeter taste.

Stir in a can of tuna (drained), heat through (or stew fora bit) and serve with wholemeal pasta.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >