Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Raw diet - chicken wings!?

I've been noticing Raw diet / BARF being mentioned a lot lately. Whilst it is not something I would get in to fully I was wondering about the chicken wings. I've always been told keep chicken wings away from dogs as they can choke on them or cause internal damage yet people on forums keep saying give your dog chicken wings etc.

So, I'm very confused, I would be worried sick Tina or Rambo may hurt themselves but I want to do what is best by them for their teeth/diet/wellbeing.
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Raw chicken wings are fine as the bones are nice and soft for dogs to chew. It's the cooked chicken bones that splinter.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2010, 01:26 PM
i feed mine chicken wings, thighs and drumsticks never had a problem ive always thought its cooked bones that are dangerous not raw ones
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Its any cooked bones you want to be wary of as they can splinter, but raw bones are great. Go for it, i think your dogs will love them
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Well my dogs love bones but then what dog doesn't! So I can feed them raw chicken bones? So if I buy the large packs of frozen chicken, defrost them, I can give it to them? What about other bones? They normally have the old knuckle bones that pet shops sell or we have gotten large bones from the butcher and roated them in the oven.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by leopard_print View Post
Well my dogs love bones but then what dog doesn't! So I can feed them raw chicken bones? So if I buy the large packs of frozen chicken, defrost them, I can give it to them? What about other bones? They normally have the old knuckle bones that pet shops sell or we have gotten large bones from the butcher and roated them in the oven.
Yes, thats right, i give them to my dogs frozen in the summer too, to help cool them down, it also takes them a little longer, as they make short work of them. As i say i always give all my bones raw as there is a risk of splintering with all cooked bones.
Hope it helps
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by leopard_print View Post
I always freeze then defrost chicken wings before giving them to the dogs. Never ever cook bones and give them to your dog. I also recommend you do not feed the large bones such as marrow bones or knuckles bones. These have very little meat on and are hard enough to crack the dogs teeth. Even in the wild, animals such as lions and tigers do not eat the large bones. If you have a larger breed, you can feed chicken carcases or whole rabbits to lessen the risk of them trying to swallow it whole. Make sure you always feed bones that are the correct size for your dog
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I feed both my dogs raw chicken carcasses. My westie has one cut in half and my dobie has 5 whole ones. They also have raw tripe, sardines with vegetables and a raw egg. Trust me your dogs will love you for this
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Now this is where my confusion lies, I've always been told roasted knuckle bones are excellent for the teeth but they must be cooked or they will splinter and the dog will swallow these splinters.

Sorry for being so cautious its just something I've followed for the past 25 years!

Just read above, Tina does love raw egg and fish, its just the bone thing that terrifies me!

Can anyone recommend a good reliable book or website on this please?
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 03:04 PM
'Give your dog a bone' By Dr Ian Billinghurst
'Works Wonders' By Dr Tom Lonsdale

These are both good book if you want to get into feeding raw or even just raw bones. I switched to feeding entirely raw about a year ago, best thing I have ever dog for my dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >