View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 11:58 AM
All I have to say is just be thankful she doesn't throw herself on her back, pee herself and scream like she's being beaten. That was the state my first dog used to get herself in quite often when any of her favourite people visited. The poor insurance man used to get his shoes christened every week. And she used to do this on the front porch. People used to walk past and give us the most filthy looks. And shouting "It's okay, she's just overexcited!" to them didn't seem to break the ice. She even used to do this to me when I'd been to the pub/clubbing it in my late teens. If I rolled in about 2 a.m. I used to have to hold her jaws shut with one hand and stroke her from head to tail until she calmed down so she didn't have the entire household awake. Then I used to have to scrub the pee out of the carpet. We never managed to fully get her out of it, but she did improve marginally with age (she only had a trickle rather than a full storm of excitement widdling.

I loved that dog.

The only thing I can suggest is doing some training sessions with someone to tell you when she's screaming via mobile phone. For safety, don't pick it up, just get them to let it ring a certain amount of times for if she's making a fuss and for when she shuts up again and drive round the out of sight again until she calms down. Or could you park up out of sight/earshot and walk to the house for her? Then you can practise leaving and coming back until she realises that staying quiet and calm gets her what she wants (you). Eventually move on to the van and your dog with her.
Happy-Hounds
New Member!
Female 

26-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Tried walking her away, tried driving away, correction, spray, clicker training, taking her in the van with me all day (the noise just hurt my eye ) you name it ive tried it!! yeah over excitement is a bag to sort out!!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 05:56 PM
If you do any clicker training can you try clicking just miliseconds of quietness, even whilst the dog takes a breath to scream again... So the dog learns that quiet gets a click?
Or is he not interested in food at all when hes so excited...?
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Happy-Hounds View Post
Tried walking her away, tried driving away, correction, spray, clicker training, taking her in the van with me all day (the noise just hurt my eye ) you name it ive tried it!! yeah over excitement is a bag to sort out!!
Ear plugs?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2