Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Grrr these dogs are sent to try us, just when I thought we were doing so well

Took Bella in to the dog field, her routine afternoon run off the lead. She has come to love it and mixes with all the other dogs. Recall really coming on. So why does she decide today to leave playing with her mates and find the only exit under a gate on to the edge of the road! (didn't think her large body would actaully clear it.) I called wait, stop, come...... She hates cars, the field is great with secure fencing all the way around apart from the lack of thinking to leave a gap under this gate Luckily a car slowed right down got out and called her to the side and she returned- the road is usually very quiet except it was school pick up time. Hoping it was a one off
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Bella2012 View Post
Took Bella in to the dog field, her routine afternoon run off the lead. She has come to love it and mixes with all the other dogs. Recall really coming on. So why does she decide today to leave playing with her mates and find the only exit under a gate on to the edge of the road! (didn't think her large body would actaully clear it.) I called wait, stop, come...... She hates cars, the field is great with secure fencing all the way around apart from the lack of thinking to leave a gap under this gate Luckily a car slowed right down got out and called her to the side and she returned- the road is usually very quiet except it was school pick up time. Hoping it was a one off
Please don't assume that

She has maybe now settled in to the point that she has got more confidence and so enough independence to explore, rather than to stay with you and her friends, plus she now knows where that exit is.

Take care in that situation for the above reasons as Bella, and you, may not be so lucky with the car next time
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 04:10 PM
it is the only place that I have found with the security or in this case now not so secure, she loves being let off and it has been the only place I have felt confident to do so, been doing loads of recall training and found it helps when walking with the other dogs
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Its a shame that this has happened but I do think if things carry on as normal, she will do it again.

My boy loves getting off for a run and playing with dogs but he also gets bored doing the same thing, seeing the same dogs, playing the same games...

I think maybe it would be a good idea to do more training on a lead and changing up the road walks, parks/playtimes, games of tuggy V's games of fetch etc Hillwalking, cycling..whatever, just mix it up and keep her busy! She will have great fun and learn to keep an eye on you.

If she keeps going to the same enclosed space etc she will be looking for stuff to do thats different and along comes the space under the gate.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Dont know what others think but having a very clever high energy, at times very demanding dog, the words 'routine afternoon run off the lead' say a lot to me!!!
Paxtonpup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Don't get too disheartened, I agree with Tass, Bella probably starting to feel more confident so is more willing to explore and test her boundarys but you can see this as a positive thing you are obviously doing a great job of making her feel happy and confident!!!

Keep working on the recall on your own and with the distraction of other dogs around, just make sure you are aware of the dangers around. Don't let 1 bad experience stop you letting her off lead, just trust in your training keep positive and you will keep seeing improvments
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Any way you could take something along to block the gap? Chances are that now she knows it's there she'll go through it again. Doesn't have to be a permanent block, I used to block the one gap in the fence with a plank of wood so I could let Rupert off leash knowing he couldn't escape.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Any way you could take something along to block the gap? Chances are that now she knows it's there she'll go through it again. Doesn't have to be a permanent block, I used to block the one gap in the fence with a plank of wood so I could let Rupert off leash knowing he couldn't escape.
Just what I was thinking (that you could leave a large plank nearby next to the gate? Or even, if you know who owns the field, if you could ask them if you could nail a bit of extra wood on the bottom?

Or find somewhere else that is secure and isn't near a road.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Oh dear. Don't be too hard on yourself -- until these things happen, we usually have no idea. Especially if the dog has never shown any signs of disappearing, going under fences, etc., before.

My Yorkie did something similar before Christmas. On one of our regular walks that we have done frequently since she was a pup, one day she found the smallest gap in the fence and shot off up onto a train track. Again, we had walked this route for the best part of over 2 years and she had never shown any interest in the fence before. I was very lucky that he came back and she will never ever be off the lead there again.

Definitely don't assume that it will be a one off. If she has done it once, she'll do it again. Did she shoot off towards the gap or did she only do it because you were walking close by and she took the opportunity? if she purposely shot off to reach the gap, I'd keep her on a lead until the gap in the fence can be sorted. If she only did it because you were walking past in close proximity, I would only let her off when you are well away.
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Thank you all so much.

She only did it as opportunity I think as we were walking past but definetly an idea to find something to block it off and I also agree that I wouldn't be confident for her not to do it again.

The walks I give in the morning are changed frequently to give different scents and environments but I suppose if she is confident in the field as (her off lead experience) she will start to wander and venture, trouble is she has already mastered sulking when we don't go to the field.

I might change the time I take her up to the field as any time before school pick up the road is very quiet (although there is always the risk) It's just handy that I finish my work and have that hour before I pick up my son from the school.

I have timed the walk to also coincide when a dog walker goes with her dogs and some others to give the opportunity for play time etc.

Many thanks for the tips, I will give it a go
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >