Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:54 PM

GSD scared of akita he used to play with

Duke used to play with an akita we used to see everyday on the park, they loved each other! Anyway my walking time changed and we didn't see him for ages and when we did see him again duke didn't like him and they have a scufflle (no damage done) Well its been at least a year since then and i bumped into them again and duke seemed really scared and wouldn't leave my side, the owner let guiness sniff duke (both on lead) and duke showed his teeth and was keeping away. I just wondered what the best way is to get duke used to him again, i don't want to make him even more scared.
Guiness is pretty good and doesn't start anything but wouldn't back down if duke does have a go at him.
Should we just walk them together but not let them get too near?
Thanks for any advice
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 01:04 PM
... two words... parallel walking
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
I think thats what were going to do tonight but the akita keeps wanting to come over for a sniff!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Took words out of my veritable orifice.........
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
I think thats what were going to do tonight but the akita keeps wanting to come over for a sniff!

That is what leads are for..............
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Definately agree, just tell the owner not to let him get too close, and I bet they'll be on friendly terms by the end of the walk, or the next walk and you can let them get closer.

Has the Akita suddenly hit 2 years old? My female went from playful puppy till she hit her teens then her attitude to other dogs changed practically overnight
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
That is what leads are for..............
I'll keep telling the owner that!

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Definately agree, just tell the owner not to let him get too close, and I bet they'll be on friendly terms by the end of the walk, or the next walk and you can let them get closer.

Has the Akita suddenly hit 2 years old? My female went from playful puppy till she hit her teens then her attitude to other dogs changed practically overnight
Well its more my GSD thats the problem (sorry i think my thread was abit confusing) Guiness the akita is fine with dogs unless challenged of course! Guiness is about 7 and duke is 6, guiness is an entire male.
I understand that they probably won't want to play like they did when they were younger but duke doesn't even want to go near him now and if guiness does come right over duke would go for him out of fear. So ill try the parallel walking and see if duke relaxes.
Ps ill try and get a picture, hes a stunning akita